Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista To Xp Step By Step

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Inq_PL

Inq_PL

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 12:20 AM

Hi My name is Patryk and I would definitelly switch back from vista to xp. I read and heard that all you need is xp soft and just drivers for xp to actually run your all components etc as all drivers do. But in order to get them you would have to search external sites eg microsoft etc. You just HAVE TO KNOW WHICH FAMILY YOUR PC..IN MY CASE LAPTOP COMES FROM. MINE IS HP PAVILION DV6700 BUT IS FROM DV6000 THEREFORE i WOULD HAVE TO LOOK FOR ALL DRIVERS FOR DV 6000. can some tech spec proffesional help me out with step by step info on how to perform this whole little project of mine that i cannot wait to complete anylonger. Vista is driving me crazy. i know how to do mostly everything in vista... took me a while but still. I want XP on my laptop. I know I should have bought a laptop with XP but I didnt and know i have to switch. And i know it is possible just need some help from someone that know what they are doin'...like all computers...in order to use it you need OS and drivers for it to coop and run in properly and you can switch back and forth. People are just told wrong info on that...why???? by the way...to make a sale :huh::lol ok SOMEONE PLEASE IF YOU CAN RELIEVE ME FROM THE VISTA STRESS. THANKS!!!! REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR INTEREST :huh: I WOULD LOVE SOME INFO/INPUT FROM SOMEONE THAT HAS DONE IT MANY TIMES THUS KEEPING ME IN A LESS STRESSFUL ENVIRONMENT WHILE DOING THIS CONVERSION> THANK YOU ONVE AGAIN :huh:
Inq_PL

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:02 AM

I've done this a couple of times at work, and the easiest way to do it is to visit the HP website for your exact model number. Usually there will be a choice of OS's.

Should this not work, then it's easiest to make a list of what devices are listed in Device Manager, and then search the web for those drivers in an XP flavor. The biggest drawback here is obtaining the motherboard/chipset drivers - but some clues on the HP website should lead you to the drivers needed.

Finally, once you're up and running, it's nice to have another internet capable PC and a flash drive for downloading drivers that you may have missed. At work we download the network card drivers first (and install them) so that we can use the web right away to locate any missing drivers.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 snemelk

snemelk

inżynier

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:39 AM

Patryk, co ci sie w Viscie nie podoba??.. :huh:
Moze lepiej zainwestowac w dodatkowa pamiec RAM, jesli predkosc dzialania jest problemem??..

:huh:..
Posted Image
snemelk.hekko.pl - my site with a few computer security tips...
Silesia - that's where I live!

"If I had some duct tape, I could fix that." - MacGyver

#4 Inq_PL

Inq_PL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:08 PM

Ok I have 3 gb ram 2 dimms
256mb ram
250 hd
soooo :huh: i guess that should be enough for vista
Inq_PL

#5 snemelk

snemelk

inżynier

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,468 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 04:27 PM

So what's the problem then??..:huh:.
Posted Image

#6 Inq_PL

Inq_PL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:16 PM

wolny wtedy kiedy nie powinien skoro mam ic2Duo t9300 2.5 ghz 3 gb ramu powinien latac :huh: no ale. i sie restartuje niewiadomo po co i ogolem kiedy chce.

it's slow at moments where it shouldn't since i have intel core 2 duo t9300 2.5ghz and 3gb RAM it should fly....but oh well..and it restarts for no reason and overall when it feels like it. which obviously is when i am doing something important...:huh:::huh:( ...so yeah I think I will try that switch..but um..i have to order backup disks from hp because when i make my own there is an error in verifying at 2/3 disks so i cant do it and i have to order..anyways i will check on these drivers and then i'll post back. Thanks :D
Inq_PL

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:29 AM

Check your Event Viewer for errors related to these problems. Go to Start and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Expand the Windows logs and check both the System and Application logs for errors that occur at the time that you have problems.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Inq_PL

Inq_PL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:00 AM

I've done this a couple of times at work, and the easiest way to do it is to visit the HP website for your exact model number. Usually there will be a choice of OS's.

Should this not work, then it's easiest to make a list of what devices are listed in Device Manager, and then search the web for those drivers in an XP flavor. The biggest drawback here is obtaining the motherboard/chipset drivers - but some clues on the HP website should lead you to the drivers needed.

Finally, once you're up and running, it's nice to have another internet capable PC and a flash drive for downloading drivers that you may have missed. At work we download the network card drivers first (and install them) so that we can use the web right away to locate any missing drivers.

There is so many and all of them dont have a word driver within in except the BIOS one so how would i know which ones are drivers? every single line rep. a driver??
Inq_PL

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:18 AM

Please let us know the exact make and model of your HP system. Use this link to verify it: http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support/prod_info.html
Also, please let us know what country the computer was purchased in, as the model availability is country dependent.

#10 Inq_PL

Inq_PL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:41 PM

Well it is hp pavilion dv 6700 with vista home 32 intel processor and bought in usa [custom built]
Inq_PL

#11 pcmaddeanp

pcmaddeanp

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:10 AM

256mb ram

Why 256Mb of RAM?? WHY? Especially with Vista?! :huh:

pcmaddeanp

Server Room Geek - IT Professionals Community

#12 snemelk

snemelk

inżynier

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,468 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:55 AM

Why 256Mb of RAM?? WHY? Especially with Vista?! :huh:

It was probably an amount of memory in his Video Card... He mentioned in two posts that he has 3GB of RAM...:huh:.
Posted Image

#13 pcmaddeanp

pcmaddeanp

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 02:32 PM

Oh I see! :huh:

pcmaddeanp

#14 LuckyMitch

LuckyMitch

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:23 PM

Hey guys just got a new laptop the specs are

My girlfriend hates vista and i think it slows down this machine... so it's my job to downgrade this by the end of the weekend
My first thought was to start with the graphics card so i went to nvidia.com and put in the info. They sent me to hp.

I put in my p/n which is DV2845se and i ran into a huge prob.

in http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...g=en&cc=us#

You can see in vista64 there are a lot of drivers to dl.

But in Xp there are 3 and they aren't even the drivers.

Dunno if HP kinda screwed me on this one or not but if someone has a few words of wisdom to share that would make my weekend a lot more enjoyable.

#15 pcmaddeanp

pcmaddeanp

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:02 AM

How about you contact HP?
I want to do the same thing and use Vista on a Virtual machine using VMWare, but there are only about 5 drivers for XP :huh:

I'm gonna contact them now!

pcmaddeanp

pcmaddeanp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users