Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Just Need To Know If This Is Right

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 futons1

futons1

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:46 PM

I have a spyware program that is not auto updatting. I try and hit the button and all I get is either there are no new updates at this time or that the product is up to date. I contacted the company because all my other products are fine and I don't have a fire wall and they tell me i should have had a number of updates that they post on the site. They list the updates as data base definition information and show it as two download files. One is listed as Core Definitions 3427 03/28/2008 05:12PM PDT 1989KB Download and the second is listed asTrace Definitions 1419 03/28/2008 05:12PM PDT 131KB Download> they showw all the new viruses and spyware show that they were ready to be updated on 3/28/08. I can download these files and swithch them for the older dat files that are in the program, right. They told me to compare them and they should be the kbs and they are not. There are two files in the program one is call dat process list and the other is called dat PROCESSLISTRELATED. If I'm not wrong if I'm not getting updates then switching these files will up the product for me? The downloaded files are bigger and up to date. To anyone who says why, I was hijacked by trogan viruses and I wasn't sure I could get rid of them without reinstalling windows. This is one product that saved me so I am not comfortable if it is not up to date. Man I talk alot sorry, but for me security is now major. It took months and trying more than twelve spyware companies and over six virus companies and I BEAT IT. I now have on my desk top four spyware products and two virus scans because it took that many to TOTALLY CLEAN MY SYSTEM. SO I'M freaky when it comes to the spyware and the virus scans being up tto date. Anyway will that work because the compny keeps telling me some thing is blocking the updates and I don't have anything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:57 PM

What anti-spyware program are we talking about?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 futons1

futons1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 05:48 PM

The software is a product called superspyware and after I looked at a reply to my first topic that was I tried to uninstall the product and it didn't work, the only thing that happend was it dissapeared from the add and remove list and on another products remove list. I found a topic that said you have to shut down the icon, did that and you need to reboot after or it may not uninstall, didn't do that. they then say install it again and the wizard will ask you do you want to repair,install, or uninstall. That's not true because it doesn't do that it just installs the product,I tried. Any way I looked again at what the tech said about the updates and he said both definitions should be the same. The two in the superspyware file, and the two on the web site and they are not. So that's why I was asking about manually updating the dat files.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:40 PM

Is THIS the program you're referring to?
If it's still listed in Add/Remove Programs, go ahead and remove it again. Then download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility from Microsoft. Open it up and check any boxes that refer to the program and run it. Then redownload the program. Select "download to the Desktop" When that's complete close all of the applications running on your computer. Then open the icon on your Desktop and let it run

Edited by garmanma, 29 March 2008 - 08:41 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:29 PM

I can download these files and swithch them for the older dat files that are in the program, right.

http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html

I manually install updates on both my windows machines, as neither are connected to the internet.
Just follow the instructions at the link above, it's easy.

Manual Definition Updates

If you would like to manually update your definitions simply exit SUPERAntiSpyware, then click the "Download" links above and copy the files to your Application Data\SUPERAntiSpyware.com\SUPERAntiSpyware folder, unzip them, and restart SUPERAntiSpyware. To unzip files in Windows XP, simply right-click on the file and select the "Extract All..." option from the menu. To automatically update, simply click the "Check for Updates" button on the SUPERAntiSpyware main application screen.

Edited by 12x48y, 29 March 2008 - 09:53 PM.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:55 PM

My first concern on reading your initial post was the statement

"I now have on my desk top...two virus scans"

Do you mean you have two antivirus programs installed? If you do, uninstall one of them.
Having more than one can cause computer issues. There is no advantage to using more than one.

You also mention not having a firewall. Do you at least have the Windows firewall turned on?

#7 futons1

futons1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:03 PM

I can download these files and swithch them for the older dat files that are in the program, right.

http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html

I manually install updates on both my windows machines, as neither are connected to the internet.
Just follow the instructions at the link above, it's easy.

Manual Definition Updates

If you would like to manually update your definitions simply exit SUPERAntiSpyware, then click the "Download" links above and copy the files to your Application Data\SUPERAntiSpyware.com\SUPERAntiSpyware folder, unzip them, and restart SUPERAntiSpyware. To unzip files in Windows XP, simply right-click on the file and select the "Extract All..." option from the menu. To automatically update, simply click the "Check for Updates" button on the SUPERAntiSpyware main application screen.

I understand that but do9ng this the files have the same name as two dat files that are in the file so to do that you have to remove the old dat files and repalce them with the updated ones? right, thats the only way. And as far as two virus scans on my computer that was said in error. thanks

#8 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:55 PM

I understand that but doing this there are two files that have the same name as the two dat files that are in the program so to do that you have to remove the two old dat files and replace them with the updated ones? right, thats the only way. that's all I'm asking. You can put a file in a program if there's already a older file with the same name, it won't let you, you have to repalce them. And as far as two virus scans on my computer that was said in error. thanks

yes, the new updates replace the prosseslist, and the processlist related folders with the new updated folders. (If I understand correctly)
I should have mentioned that. My bad.

But I don't think Superantispyware alone, is enough protection. I would think that you would also need ONE virus scanner, and a firewall.

Edited by 12x48y, 30 March 2008 - 03:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users