Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shudokansam

shudokansam

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 01:00 PM

I currently building my own computer, and Ive been looking atThis MotherBoard

Now in the description, it say that it supports 1.8v DDR2 SDRAM DIMM

Then it gives the following message: Due to the High Performance Memory design, motherboards or system configurations may or may not operate smoothly at the JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) standard settings (BIOS Default on the motherboard) such as DDR2 voltage, memory speeds and memory timing. Please confirm and adjust your memory setting in the BIOS accordingly for better system stability. Example: Kingston HyperX DDR2-800 PC6400 operates at 2.0V, 4-4-4-12. For more information about specification of high performance memory modules, please check with your Memory Manufactures for more details.

So will I not be able to use this RAM?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:05 PM

It might work. What it is saying is the board runs ram at a default 1.8V. Ram running at a higher voltage like the ram you put, might not work properly unless you adjust certain settings in your bios. I'm not really sure about this, but this is how I'm interpreting it.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:06 PM

I'm not familiar with the BIOS of that motherboard, but it sounds like there are voltages settings that would allow you to use that RAM.

Unless you are going to be running a a 64 bit OS your system will only recognize about 3.5GB of that 4GB or RAM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:23 PM

The motherboard might not post with RAM that is at 2.0v. You might have to put 1.8v RAM and get it to post and then change voltage to 2.0v and then switch the RAM

For that OCZ RAM you would have to adjust RAM volts up to 2.1 volts because thats the voltage it runs at. Most likely.....

Edited by Lucky23, 29 March 2008 - 11:25 PM.

Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:27 PM

CPU Voltage
This item allows you to increase the CPU voltage.
Memory Voltage (V)
Adjusting the memory voltage can increase the DDR speed.NB Voltage
Adjust the North Bridge chipset voltage.
SB Voltage
Adjust the Sourth Bridge voltage.
FSB VTT Voltage
This item allows you to set the FSB VTT voltage.

that's the first setting to make if you are going to use 2.0-2.2 volt premium ram, don't wait till you get a bad load of the OS
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users