Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C:\windows\config\csrss.exe Is Not A Valid Win32 Application

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 yogiyogibear

yogiyogibear

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:50 AM

First off i apoligise if this is posted in the wrong section im not that good at things like this but im at my end so i thought id give it a go......

a few days ago this error started appearing on screen when i start my computer up

C:\WINDOWS\Config\csrss.exe is not a valid Win32 application

my pc now runs and starts up alot slower than it ever did and it seems to be working overtime due to the slightly louder noises it makes while running .....i used my less than basic knowledge and ran a few different virus checks and stuff i used tuneup utilities and cleaned the reg and still i hvae this problem....my bigg problem is i dont have the start up or recovery disk as i recently moved house and i hink it got lost and worse still my cd is currently not working so i cant even try searching for a copy to download...

a friend suggested i download and use a tool called combofix whicj i did and after raeding the tutorial and following it step by step i have ended up on this forum

Please can ne one help????

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions but i ask one last thing if anyone is posting a response bear it in mind im no wiz kid to say the least so cud any replies e fool proof or very easy to understand lol..

thnx people

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:25 AM

might ask if your friend who suggested to use of combofix has used it himself and is aware of the risks surrounding it use?

did you read its disclaimer??

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

it is NOT intended for use unless so instructed by a Trained person familiar with its capabilities

of interest, how at present IS the computer running and what specific scans have you run to try and clean it?

of interest, as you say your cd is now now working , IS it a legit original cd with licence key?

#3 yogiyogibear

yogiyogibear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:46 PM

i read all the tutorial efore running combo fix and read the bit about getting the xp recovery disk from the website and adding it to combo fix i have done this and the machine seems to have speed/sped up but is still of the beat a little..

i have run tuneup utilities and something called hijack this but have little understanding of the latter programme .... i was silly to use a programme i have no knowledge of but i was at the end of my teather..........

i hope i have not put my computer at more risk...........but after a reboot the message was not displayed but as i said it still isnt running as fast as it did i have also done reg defrag and a full defrag using sysytem tools ????

thanks for the reply greatly appreciated

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 01:13 PM

Go to Start > Run and type: regedit
Press "OK" and navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

In the right pane you should see the default entries:
Shell = Explorer.exe
Userinit = C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

Post back and let me know if thats what you see. Do not make any changes.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 yogiyogibear

yogiyogibear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:29 PM

Firstly thanks for the help......

i followed wat u have said and on the right hand side it says

Default REG_SZ (value not set)

Thanks in advance

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:54 PM

That doesn't sound right. There should be several default entries listed in the right pane when you click on (highlight) Winlogon. Please double-check.

#7 alkami

alkami

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:04 AM

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I am having the same problem.

I followed the instructions and this is what I got in regedit

shell = Explorer.exe C:\Windows\config\csrss.exe
Userinit = C:\windows\system32\\userinit.exe

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:08 AM

Welcome to BC alkami

If you have an issue or problem you would like to discuss, please start your own topic. Doing that will help to avoid the confusion that often occurs when trying to help two or more members in the same thread with different problems. Even if your problem is similar to the original poster's problem, the solution could be different based on the kind of hardware, software, system requirements, etc. you are using and the presence of other malware. Further, posting for assistance in someone else's topic is not considered proper forum etiquette.

Thanks for your cooperation.

#9 alkami

alkami

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:32 AM

Welcome to BC alkami

If you have an issue or problem you would like to discuss, please start your own topic. Doing that will help to avoid the confusion that often occurs when trying to help two or more members in the same thread with different problems. Even if your problem is similar to the original poster's problem, the solution could be different based on the kind of hardware, software, system requirements, etc. you are using and the presence of other malware. Further, posting for assistance in someone else's topic is not considered proper forum etiquette.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Thank you for the advice, I have already made another post on my problem.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/147663/cwindowsconfigcsrssexe-is-not-a-valid-win32-application/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users