Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Bios Beeps?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 todmay

todmay

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:58 AM

My pc has died, It is A cooler master full tower with an Antec 550 watt true power trio PS,a gigabyte GA-p35-ds3l MOBO
An intel Core2duo 6750 conroe .3 gig crucial Ballistic DDR2 ram, 160 gig WD sata HD, Zotac 8800GT invidia video card.
I went to work and left it run, when I came home the windows desk top was frozen, I had to remove power to reboot.
On reboot it went straight to continuous beeps. The MOBO book says that short continuous beeps indicate a power problem, and that long beeps indicate a video problem . How can I tell The difference between a long beep and a short? The pc now just beeps, no video at all, no bios splash screen. I suspect the video card. How can I tell between the Power supply or video card.
Thanks Tod

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:33 AM

probly not gonna help you out much but until someone can really tell you, http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm may give some clue

One way to check the PSU out is to short out the green wire to the black wire on the 20(4) pin plug. but i would just imagine that if you've got no video at all and the computer is starting up a little, in order to beep at you i'd suspect the video card too. Plus if it was the PSU that went out while you were gone I'd think the comp would have shut off, or caught on fire. but being frozen leads to the video card IMO

Are the HDD and fans and stuff kicking on?

Edited by smurfgod, 29 March 2008 - 10:43 AM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:39 AM

Unfortunately that motherboard doesn't have onboard video, so the only way to be sure would be to try a card that you know works. You can take a volt meter and measure the voltage of one the molex connectors, that will give you a 12V and 5V rail reading. Once again, if you have another PSU you could try that. Try pulling the video card out and reinstalling it, and check all of you other connections, especially the 24 pin connector on the motherboard and the 4 pin CPU connector.

As for long and short beeps, generally long beeps will last for a second or longer with a equal amount of time in between. Short beep will be about half as long with equal pauses. This is rather hard to explain.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 todmay

todmay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:50 AM

The power supply fan, case fan and cpu fans are working, also I can see the DVD drive flash along with the hdd,before it shuts down
Thanks Tod

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:24 AM

How long does it run before it shuts down?

Did you use thermal compound between the CPU and the heat sink?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 todmay

todmay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:19 PM

Used thermal paste, it shuts off in about a minute maybe less.

#7 Deliverance XXV

Deliverance XXV

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:14 PM

Try reseating everything in your computer.
It could be something silly like your graphics card or a power cable came loose.
Reseat your ram. All in different slots. Mix and match. One at a time etc etc. See if that makes a difference.
No luck? You will have to narrow down the issue.
Can you get a loan of a graphics card or PSU? If so, swap with your one at a time see if it resolves anything or if anything changes.
If no luck try a spare mobo.

#8 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:32 PM

Normally when the computer shuts off quick like that its either the power supply or a cooling problem. check all your fans and connections
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:51 PM

On a side note...I see that you have 3GB of RAM which I'm guessing is three 1GB modules. That motherboard is capable of running dual channel and that requires even numbers of modules with the same specs.

How long ago did you build this?

#10 todmay

todmay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:47 AM

Bought and built in February, ran great 2 months

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:02 AM

Have you checked all of you connections and reseated all of your modules and card? Do you have a known working PSU that you can try in it, or a Volt meter to read the different rails? Jumping out the green wire and any black (-) wire will allow you to bypass the motherboard and turn on the PSU to read the different rails, but without a load you can't depend of the readings being accurate, it will only show you that the voltages are there.

#12 todmay

todmay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:29 PM

Thanks dc3, The problem was a bad stick of ram, I pulled all but one stick out and it booted right up. I kept swapping and found a bad stick. Rma'ed it back to newegg this afternoon.
I read the feedback on this ram and its not good in fact its all bad.
The memory is Crucial Ballistic 1gig DDR2 1066 PC2-8500
I guess I'm stuck with it for now

#13 fred333

fred333

• Banned
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:32 AM

Glad you got the solution.

Edited by fred333, 02 April 2008 - 09:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users