Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Browsing/Sites Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AgentSelf

AgentSelf

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 20 March 2005 - 01:48 PM

When I visit certain sites, like UofPhoenix online, it knows my degree program. I think I clicked on the icon one time and it remembers me. Same thing with some other sites that ask me if I want to meet singles in my area and it knows the town next to where I live, every time. How do they know this and how do I get rid of it? I would be very greatful for any help. Thank you.

AS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 07:23 PM

Most likely this information is stored as a "cookie" on your hard drive. If you have either Mozilla or Firebird, you can use the cookie manager to locate the ones you don't want, and remove them from there. Else check your browser's HELP to determine where the cookies are stored, go to the file, and delete the ones you don't want.

I would highly recommend you set whichever browser you use to "ask before accepting cookies."

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 20 March 2005 - 07:25 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 20 March 2005 - 07:31 PM

The second question you asked about "how do they know my town?", the answer to that is your ISP address or number and there isn't much you can do about that unless you go through a proxy server.

Chief.

#4 AgentSelf

AgentSelf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 11:25 PM

Thanks for the help.

I keep a tight reign on my cookies and the IP address makes sense. Someone was talking about some sites using geo-tracking. I ran my IP address through SamSpade.org and it comes back to St Louis, which is not the city that show up on these web sites, but it is where my provider is located. The only other thing I can think of is that there is a satellite office in the city they do show. Thanx for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users