Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Earth Hour Day

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 snooker

snooker

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:42 AM

Are you in on Earth Hour ? Google seem to have started

http://www.google.ca/intl/en/earthhour/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:50 AM

I've heard of this silliness.

I wonder how many power failures will result from the overloads caused by all of those people turning their lights on at the same time?

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:36 AM

I am sure the energy companies have taken precautions for that surge, which would not be different that restoring a large portion of users after a power outage.
While one hour will not make much of an energy saving impact, it may perhaps help many people understand how much energy we collectively waste each night.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:04 AM

how many people leave their compurters powered up and running unnecessarily overnight? ( or even during the day?)

keeping warm? put extra clothes on and turn your heating down or even OFF

and the skydigibox?

must remember to be RED at night to be green :thumbsup:

#5 snooker

snooker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:11 AM

Earth Hour is a WWF initiative to "turn off the lights" in cities around the world for one hour, starting at 8pm local time on March 29, 2008. Earth Hour will demonstrate that by working together, each one of us can make a positive impact on this global issue. Earth Hour encourages businesses, communities and individuals to take the simple steps needed to cut their carbon dioxide emissions. WWF will hold this event in at least 25 cities across 6 continents. In the U.S. it will be held in Chicago, Atlanta, Phoenix and San Francisco.

Earth Hour is intended to bring together a diverse group of community, municipal, corporate and non-governmental organizations to heighten awareness of the impacts of climate change on the world and to inspire individuals and businesses to take practical action to reduce their own carbon footprint

http://www8.earthhourus.org/

#6 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:13 PM

How is turning off lights going to do anything to carbon dioxide levels? For that matter, how many people so you think would cut off their power for an hour? I know I wouldn't. Then again, I don't give any serious attention to any nutty schemes the tree-huggers come up with.

And before anyone gets started, "global warming" ranks right up there with Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, as far as reality goes.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 12:56 AM

Thread has gone far enough off track. The event is over.

Any response would necessitate moving this topic, to the Speak Easy.

Therefore this thread is now closed.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users