Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking, Sharing Printers And Folders

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Vortex Acid

Vortex Acid

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:51 AM

This has been a problem to me for quite a while now.

I am on a desktop and my sister has a laptop that is connected wirelessly to a D-Link DI-524 wireless router. Now the printer is connected to my computer and what I'm looking to do is to share the printer with her so she can print wirelessly. How would I achieve this?

I would also like to know how to access her folders and for her to access my music folders to put the files onto her laptop.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:07 AM

You'll have to enable file and printer sharing. Then, in most cases, you'll have to store your files/music/etc in the Shared Documents/Music/etc folders to be able to access them across the workgroup.

The reason for this is that workgroups use the permissions for the Guest account when someone accesses your system over the network (so they can't get into your personal stuff). If you'd like to give greater access, I'd suggest that you post a new topic over in the Networking forum to get some help with that: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/21/networking/

Edited by usasma, 29 March 2008 - 06:10 AM.
added second paragraph

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Vortex Acid

Vortex Acid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 05:51 PM

But the thing is, I don't have a workgroup in the first place, So how would I set one up?

#4 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:01 PM

on both computers go to start, right click my computer, properties, computer name tab, change and give both pc's the same workgroup name.

on your sisters computer go to start, printers, add a printer, and choose network printer.

on your computer, go into my computer, tools, folder options, and uncheck simple file sharing (I think it's at the bottom usually). Then apply and go to your music folder and right click, go to sharing and security, choose share this folder and add a share name.

go back to your sisters computer, go to my computer, my network places, choose view workgroup computers (on left), double click your computer (desktop)'s name, right click on your shared music folder and choose map network drive. Assign the network drive any letter and make sure reconnect at logon is on, then hit ok to save changes.

Now to get to your music all your sister has to do is go to my computer and click on the drive you just made (whatever you called it, z:, h:, etc.) I usually right click on the drive and send to desktop to create a shortcut for it. Let me know if that doesn't work.

#5 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:31 PM

I have sent this to several people having problems setting up their home network. They said it worked great. Just use the Free version, they did and it was all they needed:

http://www.networkmagic.com/download/

Hope it helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users