Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Difficulties Getting Into Windows

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 cainchu

cainchu

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:14 PM

My coputer is emachines T3092. When I start the computer the "e" logo comes on, it's stays on screen for a very long time, then the screen goes black and a blinking curser appears on the left top corner, and this can stay in this position for long time. I turn the power off and try again. Ater few tries I might get lucky and the computer will log into windows.
I hope somebody can help me with this problem.
Thanks,
Michael

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:28 PM

Next time you get booted up try doing a system restore. There is a really good tutorial that you can read here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 cainchu

cainchu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:52 PM

I tried to restore to the day before the problem started, but when the computer restarted the problem occured again, the computer did not log to windows for a very long time. Finally I turned the power off which in turn interrupted the restore process. This happen already twice. I was advised to do a full system restore. What do you think of that? Would I lose saved data, or custom settings?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 05:56 AM

Black screen hangs are difficult to troubleshoot because they can occur during several parts of the boot process.

The first thing to try is a bootable diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive. Follow their instructions to make a bootable CD and then run the tests. If it fails the test, you'll have to get a new hard drive to fix the problems.

If it passes the hard drive diagnostic, the next step is to open up the recovery console ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-install-the-windows-xp-recovery-console/ ) and run the "chkdsk /r" (without the quotes) command. After that, also run the "fixmbr" and "fixboot" commands.

Let us know what happens and we can move on from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 cainchu

cainchu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 12:05 AM

I've contacted emachines support and downloaded GWSCAN512.exe to a disk. Following the instructions I've restarted the computer with the disk loaded. The computer went into MS-DOS and after some executionof commands, the cursor was blinking at Drive A and I don't know what to do next. Would you know?
Michael

#6 msamelia

msamelia

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 30 March 2008 - 01:38 AM

running chkdsk /r may work but might also want to check ur bios settings and check to see if the bios is reading some drives that are not there. That probably explain why it takes longer to load to windows. see if it works..

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:11 AM

If GWSCAN512.exe is on a floppy disk in your A: drive, then just type "GWSCAN512.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
If it's on another drive you'll have to type in the drive letter followed by a : - and then press Enter to switch to that drive. Then type in GWSCAN512.exe and press Enter to run the program.

FYI - I have no clue what this program is supposed to do.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:47 AM

If GWSCAN512.exe is on a floppy disk in your A: drive, then just type "GWSCAN512.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
If it's on another drive you'll have to type in the drive letter followed by a : - and then press Enter to switch to that drive. Then type in GWSCAN512.exe and press Enter to run the program.

FYI - I have no clue what this program is supposed to do.

It's actually a Gateway utility
http://support.gateway.com/support/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:07 AM

Thanks garmanma!

#10 cainchu

cainchu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 01:16 PM

Thanks everybody. I'm on my way to check it out. Will report soon from the crime scene.

#11 cainchu

cainchu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 01:29 PM

Well, not too good. I did all the above and the response was: "This program annot be run in DOS mode."
What should I do now?

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 05:57 PM

Well, not too good. I did all the above and the response was: "This program annot be run in DOS mode."
What should I do now?

Go to the link I posted previously and click on the How to Install tab and you will find instructions there
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#13 cainchu

cainchu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:25 PM

Finally i got the hard drive test to run and the result is the the drive is OK. Now I have difficulties to do the chkdsk/r. I'm getting error message: e: \i386 is not accessible. Incorrect function.
So I'm looking for miracles again. Anybody..?

#14 cainchu

cainchu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 01:04 AM

Black screen hangs are difficult to troubleshoot because they can occur during several parts of the boot process.

The first thing to try is a bootable diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive. Follow their instructions to make a bootable CD and then run the tests. If it fails the test, you'll have to get a new hard drive to fix the problems.

If it passes the hard drive diagnostic, the next step is to open up the recovery console ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-install-the-windows-xp-recovery-console/ ) and run the "chkdsk /r" (without the quotes) command. After that, also run the "fixmbr" and "fixboot" commands.

Let us know what happens and we can move on from there.

#15 cainchu

cainchu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 01:42 AM

I'm not able to install the Recovery Console. The error message reads: "Windows cannot find the file..." I double checked the Recovery disk that came with the computer and the file specified in the tutorial link in your message, is not on that disk. Thus I can't run chkdsk/r. What should I do next?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users