Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Software

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ap1212

ap1212

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:32 PM

Hi all

I am in the process of replacing the McAfee internet security suite that was preinstalled on my laptop due to major compatibility issues with Vista Home Premium. I current use Kaspersky Antivirus 7, Spware Doctor, and Windows firewall (the control program didn’t work out so well for me, though) I have Spyware Doctor’s “onguard” feature enabled, and was wondering if that would conflict with a firewall. Any recommendations on firwalls? I’m leaning towards Comodo, but I wanted to ask around a little first.
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:09 AM

Leaning towards COMODO is a wise choice. For security I use:

Anti-Virus: AVG Anti-Virus (Free Edition)
Anti-Spyware: Spyware Terminator along with SpywareBlaster as-well as SUPERAntiSpyware
Anti-Rootkit (Optional): AVG Anti-Rootkit
Firewall: COMODO Firewall PRO

They work fine together, they don't use up valuable system resources and they get the job done efficiently. I can tell you that SUPERAntiSpyware is a great program as it has found Trojans that my other scanners didn't find. (SUPERAntiSpyware is known for picking up malware that many popular scanners don't.)

If you have any questions about these or something similar, feel free to post it :thumbsup:

Regards,
David.

#3 She Haunts Me

She Haunts Me

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 07:32 AM

Your best bet would be to get another security suite. Kaspersky Internet Security and ESET Smart Security are about the best. They are both really lean and don't use up resources. (Especially ESET) If you really want all the programs separate and are just looking for a firewall then yes, COMODO is your best bet.

#4 ap1212

ap1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:39 PM

Your best bet would be to get another security suite. Kaspersky Internet Security and ESET Smart Security are about the best. They are both really lean and don't use up resources. (Especially ESET) If you really want all the programs separate and are just looking for a firewall then yes, COMODO is your best bet.

My experience with the McAfee Internet suite as well as a lack of information about Kaspersky internet security and Vista were the main reasons I went just Kaspersky antivirus. That, and COMODO always seemed like the best choice for protection & compatibility. However, now that I know more about it, I've been kicking myself for buying Kaspersky antivirus instead of the Internet Security Suite! I'm going to install COMODO and see how things go.

Anti-Virus: AVG Anti-Virus (Free Edition)
Anti-Spyware: Spyware Terminator along with SpywareBlaster as-well as SUPERAntiSpyware
Anti-Rootkit (Optional): AVG Anti-Rootkit
Firewall: COMODO Firewall PRO

They work fine together, they don't use up valuable system resources and they get the job done efficiently. I can tell you that SUPERAntiSpyware is a great program as it has found Trojans that my other scanners didn't find. (SUPERAntiSpyware is known for picking up malware that many popular scanners don't.)

If you have any questions about these or something similar, feel free to post it :thumbsup:

Regards,
David.

Thank you! I will most definitely be taking you up on that :flowers:! Should I also use a program like spywareblaster or McAfee Siteadvisor? I had been using the free version of siteadvisor until about 3 months ago, so I'm not even sure if it currently works with Vista. Do you have any recommendations?

#5 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:41 PM

Yes SpywareBlaster is great! I'm not sure about the McAfee Siteadvisor compatibility with Vista as I am running Windows Xp Home Edition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users