Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ntvdm.exe Has Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Myth03

Myth03

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:21 PM

I keep getting this error message "NTVDM.exe has stopped working" preceeded by a string of characters (something like the C:/~ command line (edit: The entire command line is "C:\PROGRA~1\svchost.exe) , that flashes (then disappears) and the only thing I am able to see is the "svchost.exe" This problem tends to come about when opening/closing IE, or many other day to day programs and sometimes comes up multiple times in a few minutes.... Thanks in advance.

Edited by Myth03, 28 March 2008 - 06:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:46 PM

NTDVM.exe is a program for providing compatibility with older, 16 bit applications. Are you using any older applications on your copy of Vista? Vista is a bit fussy when it comes to older applications - so the exact names and versions are essential to figure this out.

To find out more about what's going on, you can go to Start and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Expand the category for Windows logs and check the Application log underneath it. You'll be looking for errors that occur at the time you get the error messages. Double click on the error to get the details and post them here.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Myth03

Myth03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:29 PM

These are the only errors i see:
"Faulting application ntvdm.exe, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549adf0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x00000000, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000007ed, process id 0x129c (these numbers change from error to error), application start time 0x01c8912a85b71eed (these change as well)."

"Fault bucket 355553618, type 1
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: None
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: ntvdm.exe
P2: 6.0.6000.16386
P3: 4549adf0
P4: StackHash_1703
P5: 0.0.0.0
P6: 00000000
P7: c0000005
P8: 000007ed
P9:
P10: "

NOTE: These occur within 4-5 seconds of each other but that can span up to minutes... They NEVER occur at the same time.

I found another specific instance that creates the error, everytime i open a new tab (or an entirely new instance) of Internet Explorer it occurs, however, this is not the only time. Perhaps something conflicting there.

In response to your other question, I don't believe I have any software older than the Microsoft 2007 series, and the software installed on my PC in may '07...

Edited by Myth03, 28 March 2008 - 07:32 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 05:44 AM

Most of the links that I found that pertain to this type of problem seem to be related to games. What games have you installed? The particular problem seems to be with DOS/early Windows games. Most errors seem to involve the autoexec.bat, autoexec.nt and config.nt files.

Here's an article that pertains to Windows NT, but most of the steps don't work in Vista: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q220155/

I would suggest searching your hard drive for these files:
autoexec.bat
autoexec.nt
config.nt

When you find them, open them with a text editor and copy/paste their contents into your next reply. From there we may find some clues as to what's causing the problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Myth03

Myth03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:50 PM

Hmm... I couldn't find any of the above files on the system... Checked all the local drives. In response to your question... I have Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars, World of Warcrat, and Football Manager 2008.

#6 Myth03

Myth03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:36 PM

I also tried the article and followed all the steps. I was unsure of how to "replace" the files as it said but the first file I opened in the text editor (NTIO.sys) said this...

Unrecognized command in CONFIG.SYS
$
Bad command or parameters - $
Sector size too large in file $
Bad or missing $Command Interpreter
Invalid country code or code page
$
Error in COUNTRY command
$
Insufficient memory for COUNTRY.SYS file
$
Configuration too large for memory
$
Too many block devices
$
Invalid STACK parameters
$
Incorrect order in CONFIG.SYS line $Error in CONFIG.SYS line

Edited by Myth03, 09 April 2008 - 01:38 PM.

#7 backstab123

backstab123

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 02:32 PM

Application popup: 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem : C:\Windows\system32\wuauclt.exe
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:db09 IP:0ac6 OP:ff ff ff ff ff Choose 'Close' to termin
THis shows me every single 5 seconds, i cant play anything its so annoying help me please. ;( Before It write me has stopped working and i hide it in the down corner and play games but now :huh: plz help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users