Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Logon To Windows, Keeps Logging Off

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Frank74

Frank74

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:22 PM

Hi, my brother asked me to fix his PC today, he has XP Service Pack 2. Everytime the logon password is typed in it logs on and straight back off again. I tried booting using Safe Mode with Command Prompt but it still loaded the XP logon screen and the same thing again. He has 1 user with a password and the administrator account with no password. He also doesn't have Recovery Console installed or an XP disc as it came pre-installed when he bought it.

Looking for some help, what can I do to fix it? Can I make a bootable CD on my PC to fix my brothers?

Thanks, he has 2 kids nagging him because they can't do their homework.

Frank

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:48 AM

This may not necessarily be a malware problem. Does it do this with any other accounts? It may be a corrupt account.

#3 Frank74

Frank74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:35 PM

Thanks for the reply, it does it with the Administrator account and his own account. Both logins are the same. I thought its some kind of virus because it won't even let me boot up to a command prompt. No matter what selection I choose from the boot options it still boots windows with the graphical login screen.

I thought it might be an altered Autoexec.bat or something. He apparently had just PC Guard installed as protection.

Can I make a Windows Recovery Boot CD from my PC to fix his? I've downloaded WindowsXP-KB310994-SP2-Home-BootDisk-ENU, which I believe has Windows Recovery Console, and made a bootable CD after extracting the floppy images to i386 folder. It boots from the CD ok, but still don't know what to do next.

I've also downloaded Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset and made a boot CD from the iso that gets installed. But it won't boot up on my PC, keep getting bsod's, maybe because mine is a custom Packard Bell XP install?

Thanks for your help.

Frank

#4 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 05:06 PM

I was going to suggest creating a new account but doesn't seem like it is going to happen. Have you tried System File Checker? Do you have the original XP disc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users