Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Had Virus; Now Will Not Run Any Programs

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 smichalies

smichalies

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 28 March 2008 - 03:44 PM

Hi,

My computer (a laptop) started running slowly a short while ago; namely, the internet was very slow. I knew I needed to update my virus protection (I use Norton Antivirus) and my computer would not allow me to update it - it just didn't work. I made sure my subscription was still good, paid for a new year, and then it allowed me to run LiveUpdate. After running this, my computer popped up with a message saying I had a Trojan on my computer, and a second message saying I had the Trojan 'Mespam'. I would close these error windows, and they would immediatly pop back up. When I tried to run Norton to remove these files, I would get an error message saying the application failed to innitialize. I booted my computer up in safe mode, and was able to run Norton in it, and it found and 'removed' 8 trojans. However, when I booted it back up in normal mode, those viruses were still there, and I still could not run Norton.

I booted back up into safemode, ran norton again, and when it was done, removed all of the files in my recycle bin, and then booted up in normal mode. Now I no longer get messages saying I have a virus, but am still unable to run any programs on my computer. I hope this is enough information to help?

Oh, my computer is Windows XP home edition.

Thanks,

Sarah

Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 28 March 2008 - 04:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:44 PM

Now I no longer get messages saying I have a virus, but am still unable to run any programs on my computer. I hope this is enough information to help?

What do you mean when you say unable to run? Could be be more specific about the problems you're encountering?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 smichalies

smichalies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:08 PM

When I boot my computer up, this is the error message I get:
MsnMsgr.Exe - Application Error
The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000022). Click on OK to terminate the application.

After this message, this one pops up:
Symantec User Session
A necessary file could not be loaded:
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\CCEMLPXY.DLL

And then this one:
Symantec User Session
A necessary file could not be loaded:
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NISTRAY.DLL

When I try to open IE, it opens, but says I cannont display the webpage. I can open programs like Word, but Norton pops up with this message when I try to open it:
The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000022). Click on OK to terminate the application.

I also cannot get an internet connection right now.

#4 smichalies

smichalies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 11:33 AM

Anybody have any ideas?

#5 smichalies

smichalies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:44 AM

I guess not...

#6 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:06 PM

assuming you are running xp, have you yet attempted to try a system restore?

in what other ways is the computer now not running properly?

how do you normally connect to the internet?

#7 smichalies

smichalies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:42 PM

How do I do a system restore? I have wireless, normally I just open up IE but it's not working. I can't open up my wireless utility, either.

#8 Fasih

Fasih

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:48 PM

How do I do a system restore? I have wireless, normally I just open up IE but it's not working. I can't open up my wireless utility, either.

For XP, go to Start, All programs, accessories, system tools, and it should be there.

#9 smichalies

smichalies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 05:51 PM

I tried to do this, but it didn't do any good. Any other ideas?

#10 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 05:58 PM

do you mean that system restore is not there or that you have tried it but it will not do a roll back ?

#11 smichalies

smichalies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2008 - 01:03 AM

I rolled back to a previous month, but still have the same problems. How far back should I go?

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:49 PM

Hello smichalies,

I think that the issues you are experiencing is related to the malware infection discussed in the first post. There is a lot of malware that disables security programs.

Do you have other security programs installed on the computer? Please name them.

Let's try a malware removal program and see what it finds.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Please post the MalwareBytes log in your next reply.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#13 smichalies

smichalies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:08 PM

The only problem with this is, I can't connect to the internet from the infected computer.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 11 April 2008 - 04:16 PM.
Edited out unncecessary quote. ~OB

#14 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:19 PM

Hello smichalies,

You can download the program and the updates to a flash drive on a different computer; then install them on the infected computer from the flash drive. Once you have run the scan and the log has been created, you can save a copy of the log file to the flash drive, then go back to the other computer to post to BC and paste in the log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#15 smichalies

smichalies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2008 - 10:47 PM

I ran this program, now when I start up my computer it shows my wireless connection and MSN messenger runs, but when I try to open up IE it says it cannot display the webpage, and Norton still pops up saying I have a trojan but it can access or repair the file. I'm at a total loss and about ready to nuke my computer.

Should I look into reformatting the hard drive and starting over?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users