Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice On A Easy Firewall

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dizzydee

dizzydee

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 28 March 2008 - 03:29 PM

Hi, im thinking of ditching mcafee , due to the firewall having all my ports on stealth except for two, and not been able to play the ds or wii over the internet.
I know its mcafee cause when i turned of the firewall, and put my windows xp sp2 one on it lets me. Ive downloaded all my apps ready, but im struggeling with which firewall to choose, i need one that dosent ask questions all the time cause my memory is like a sieve, so far ive down loaded comodo and zonealarm to try, but have read that comodo keeps on asking permissions all the time, if someone knows of an easy peezy one, id be very grateful, ive tried configuring mcafees one but to no avail, on the mcafees forums they say to open a few ports up to be able to wifi, but i dont want to, it should let me when it says it has full access in its allowed programmes, but more importantly all the other ports should be closed and not in stealth, am i right or wrong. Things have to be kind of simple for me to use, im not computer litterate im learning all the time, ive had netgear wireless router since last november yet to install, i just keep looking at the box thinking maybe ill try tommorrow, lol. many thanks in advance for any help offered. Dee :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:09 PM

Hi Dee,

I recommend using COMODO Firewall PRO. It is free and I think it is the best firewall I have used so far. When you install it, you get the option which you are looking for, Simple mode or advanced mode. Choosing simple mode will display less pop-ups so you won't have to continuously configure it.

Regards,
David.

Edited by david28, 28 March 2008 - 07:10 PM.

#3 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:35 PM

Sygate Personal Firewall is my favorite. It is discontinued, but you can still find the last free version.

Before being discontinued by Symantec as a product, Sygate Personal Firewall
software offered solid network protection, activity logging, and automatic email notifications.
Free for personal use, it supported advanced configuration options without being overly difficult to use.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#4 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:15 AM

There are quite a few firewalls which members may recommend/suggest. In the end, it all boils down to compatibility and personal choice but still thinking about how good it is. COMODO and Zone Alarm, they are one of the 2 most well-known and respected free firewalls.

Also, if you want, check out Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps

Regards,
David.

#5 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:58 AM

David I don't call Comodo a easy firewall, especially when installing and updating programs :flowers:

I recommend Zonealarm Free
Its easy to use, effective and won't bother you too much :thumbsup:

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:57 AM

Either one you choose, you are going to have to "teach" it which of the applications within your computer's software configuration should be granted (automatic ) access to the Internet. Sygate and Comodo have the option, as I remember, to allow you to set permission by application.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:44 PM

Sygate Personal Firewall is my favorite. It is discontinued, but you can still find the last free version.

Before being discontinued by Symantec as a product, Sygate Personal Firewall
software offered solid network protection, activity logging, and automatic email notifications.
Free for personal use, it supported advanced configuration options without being overly difficult to use.

I'm still using Sygate and I'll keep on using it 'til they tear it out of my cold, dead hands.

Here are links to all the versions, a tutorial, etc that can be useful since the Sygate forum was finally closed down about a year ago.

All Sygate versions:
http://www.savefile.com/projects/1045215

Last update for versions 5x:
http://www.savefile.com/files/267654

Nice Sygate help site:
http://www.kotiposti.net/string/SPF_eng/SPFGuide.html

I've stuck with 5.5. 2710 with the last update (at the link above.)

Here's how to save your settings for easy reinstalls.
Make a copy of the following SPF files and storing them in another directory:

default.dat
stddef.dat
StdState.dat
TState.dat
tsysconf.xml
sdi.dat
trojan.dat

You also have the choice of saving your advanced rules from the advanced rule menu (shift + click to select then right click for the export option) and save to a location for later importing the .sar file.

Just because something has been discontinued or stopped updating doesn't mean it's not still a good product. The basic firewall engine is the work horse. The average user will get alone just find without definition updates.

#8 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:39 PM

Either one you choose, you are going to have to "teach" it which of the applications within your computer's software configuration

As with any firewall.

#9 CmmTch

CmmTch

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:01 PM

I agree with Teenage.Zombiee. I have been using Zonealarm Pro for 8 years and haven't had any problems with it. When you first install it, it will be in a "learning mode". Little to no need for setting it up, just let it install, then you will allow or deny applications as you use your computer. After you install it you will want to turn off some of the alerts, they can become a pain due to the frequency of what Zonealarm blocks. You'll be surprised to see how much and how often things you don't know about are coming at your computer.

There is a Zonealarm forum for help and questions, http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs. Good luck with whichever firewall you choose, remember only run one firewall.
Steve

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:59 PM

Try one. If you don't like it, simply uninstall and get something else.
I've used Zone Alarm in the past, now I use Comodo. No issues with either of them.

What antivirus program will you install to replace that McAfee component?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 29 March 2008 - 10:00 PM.

#11 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:29 PM

I have tried most of the Firewalls mentioned,and have settled for Sunbelt Personal Firewall Free.
Least interaction of them all, and has Add Blocker,which even blocks Adds on Bleeping. :thumbsup:

http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Home-Home-...sonal-Firewall/

#12 dizzydee

dizzydee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:24 PM

Thankyou everyone for your suggestions looks like im gonna have to be brave and just try the ones ive down loaded, and see how i go, Queen-Evie , ive down loaded avg free and avast free for home users same with them ill try each to see which i prefer, even with my mcafee i also have spyware blaster, avg anti-spyware, super anti-spyware, avg rootkit and a-squared free, but i do prefer the all in one suits of anti-virus with firewall, find them so easier to use, its mostly because its the only pc in the house for now, and i cant trust the rest of the family lol, many thanks for all your advice. much appreciated , Dee. Ps ill look at the sunbelt one too, thats sound what im looking for, thankyou DSTM.

Edited by dizzydee, 30 March 2008 - 02:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users