Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

App To Check Current Software Versions?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dazedandconfused

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 28 March 2008 - 03:15 PM

I have a vague memory of using a free utility on my XP machine that listed all my software and whether the version was up-to-date and whether being behind presented any security issues. It produced a report that spelled it all out in simple terms for me. I think it also had links to the appropriate software vendor in order to get the latest updates, and a place to provide feedback if I had an application in use that wasn't in their database. I don't remember if this was something that I downloaded, or if it ran from their website.

Does anyone know what this might be, and whether it will work on Vista? I've got a new HP with Vista Home Premium, and I'm trying to set up some good utilities for myself to keep up on this type of thing.

I just used the Belarc System Management tool, and found additional "poo" that was preloaded, even though I'd gone through my PROGRAMS list and deleted all the AOL, EARTHLINK, etc., stuff that I could find. grrr. This was a good tool, and it listed the versions on a lot of things, but I'd have to go to all the vendors to check the latest versions, something I believe this other utility did.

Can anyone help out my "mature memory" on this? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:58 PM

It's called Secunia PSI. I've been using it for several months and it works great. I don't know if it works on Vista but do a Google search and I'm sure you'll figure it out.

#3 The Gorilla

The Gorilla

• Members
  • 766 posts
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:34 AM

Direct from Secunia PSI Site

The current list of requirements that must be met for the Secunia PSI to function correctly are the following:

Supported Operating Systems:
* Microsoft Windows XP - Service Pack 2
* Microsoft Windows 2003
* Microsoft Windows Vista
* Microsoft Windows 2000 - Service Pack 4
* US and European languages only

Edited by The Gorilla, 29 March 2008 - 04:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users