Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I "repair" Ie7?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 28 March 2008 - 02:22 PM

I was having problems getting web pages to display - one of those strange "broke itself and fixed itself" situations that I can't explain or re-create...and in the midst of it I was talking with a support-staffer at my ISP. He said that if I continued to have problems, I should go into the PROGRAMS area of CONTROL PANEL and select IE and the REPAIR button - or I should just reinstall IE7. I didn't need to do either, but checked out the steps anyway...just in case they might be needed in the future, and because I'm trying to learn some of this @#@^#!(#$ stuff.

IE 7 doesn't display on my PROGRAM list. It came pre-installed on my Vista Home Premium HP machine. If I ever were to need to "reinstall" it - how would I go about it? I do have the Recovery Disks I initially made, but would certainly hate to have to go back to them and lose so much. I am doing a weekly backup to an external drive, but I think it only does "data" stuff, and not something like IE. I also have the pre-set D:\ Recovery Disk, but I haven't been able to do a fresh backup to it because it says it's full - and I don't know if it would backup IE and other programs or not, or if it just does the data also. I use the built-in BackUp your Computer function in Vista to do the backups. (I may know just enough to be a hazard, since I'm not quite sure how these backups work, even [or maybe especially] after trying to read Microsoft info on it.)

So, this isn't an urgent question, because I seem to be working fine now, but it did get me wondering how I would go about this, expecially if IE were toasted and I couldn't ask you folks how to save myself!

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 28 March 2008 - 03:33 PM

Hi dazedandconfused.
The repair function doesn't exist with IE7 and Vista.
IE7 is now part of the Vista OS and cannot be removed or re-installed seperatley.
The only option available in IE7 is to reset it to the state it was in when it was first installed.
Method, what changes, what does not, is described here.

#3 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:23 PM

Here are some other suggestions:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...8d8af71033.mspx

also:

insert your Vista disc
right click the CMD in the start menu, run as administrator.
SFC /SCANNOW

This will check for possible corrupt system files.

Restart your computer and test IE again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users