Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Won't boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SPUD

SPUD

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 20 March 2005 - 10:40 AM

Hello all,
It is a while since I visited this forum. My brother has brought his PC in to me to sort out again. Last year it was spyware problems, now it is a boot problem. I hope someone can help.

It is a generic P4 with XP Home fully updated to SP2 and beyond.

Symptoms:
During the boot up sequence, just after the black screen "Windows XP" with blue activity bar, there is a very short flash of complete blue screen and the PC reboots. There might be a meaningful or otherwise message on this screen if I could freeze it at this point. The other boot options, Safe mode, Restore etc give the same result, it just reboots after the Windows XP screen.

Tried:
I removed the C drive and put it in my own PC as a secondary drive, scanned it for viruses but found none. I also ran scan disk on it. I then put it back in its own PC but the problem persists.
I did a bit of research and I have managed to get in to the recovery console by booting from the CD. There is a very promising looking command there "Fixboot" but I have not risked it yet until I get the opinion of an expert. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1up2down

1up2down

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 01:27 PM

Hi Spud
Doing repairs like Fixboot using the recovery console would be the first thing that could be tried. But if all else fails, why not do a clean install after saving any important data by doing the same as you already did, putting the hard drive into your own computer as a secondary drive. There are also several bootable floppy's available. These help you boot the system but do not repair anything. Microsoft do one, and I recently downloaded one that boots to a system with a damaged boot sector.

Tony

#3 SPUD

SPUD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 04:00 PM

Hi Tony,
Thanks for the advice. I tried the Fixboot without success. I discovered that I could reinstall XP on top of the original installation using the OEM disc. This worked up to a point, all the original programs were there even the desktop wall paper, Norton anti virus etc and no need to re activate. The only problem was that Windows Live update would not work, I got an error number and links. after a long winded procedure involving registry alterations etc I got it working. It is updating at the moment and hopefully it will be ok. For the record, I will post if there are any further problems. Thanks again for your concern.

#4 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 05:08 PM

when was the last time you did a virus scan and/or spyware scan?

#5 SPUD

SPUD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 06:02 PM

Hi Frankie,
I scanned the drive this morning when I put it in my own PC and nothing showed up. As far as I know it was scanned a short time before the problem occurred. I have had to uninstall and reinstall Norton anti virus 2005 now as part of the recovery and every thing looks good.

Edited by SPUD, 20 March 2005 - 06:03 PM.

#6 1up2down

1up2down

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 06:53 PM

Hi again Spud

Glad to hear you got it up and running again, though I have to admit, I've never heard of anyone doing it that way before. In fact I'd have thought it impossible to use the CDs to reinstall and still have everything there including the wallpaper. That's why I always tell others to save any data before making a clean install. Only goes to show that we can all learn something. Got to try that myself some day. LOL

Tony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users