Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Grinding To A Halt

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Oscar TG

Oscar TG

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:22 PM

My laptop is relatively old in PC terms, purchased December 2002. I recently reinstalled Windows, etc, to try to eliminate the problem I will outline, to no avail.

The laptop boots into Windows nice and quickly. If I don't do anything too intense, it will run fine for days on end without rebooting. However, there's two pieces of software I run quite often which use all of the CPU power. These programs will run fine for about 3 minutes, then the PC will grind to a halt. The pieces of software in question are:

Mixed In Key (http://www.mixedinkey.com) which scans MP3 and WAV files to detect BPM and key.
dbPowerAmp (http://www.dbpoweramp.com) which is used to convert music files from one format to another (usually ripping from CD to MP3).

I have the latest versions of both of those pieces of software, and all the updates for Windows XP. Even when not running any other programs (aside from Zonealarm firewall and AVG Free anti-virus), and only one at a time, they will function perfectly well for a couple of minutes and then suddenly the performance will drop off. For example, re-encoding MP3s from one bitrate to another should yield a rate of 4x or greater throughout, which it used to do. However, after the first 2, the rate gradually drops to a much more disappointing 0.2x - yes, a fifth of the speed.

While running these programs, I've monitored CPU usage using TaskManager, and they continue to use maximum CPU, but their RAM usage drops considerably, often just after Windows Explorer has refreshed itself.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:58 PM

start/run/ devmgmt.msc /click ok
are there any yellow or red marks showing
click on display + and right click on driver click update

#3 Oscar TG

Oscar TG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 05:54 AM

Thanks for your response, mme, but it's to no avail. None of my drivers are showing errors.

Anyone else got any ideas, it's really beginning to frustrate me :thumbsup:

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:38 AM

Can you post your PC specs.
MCP
MSDST

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,850 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:05 AM

Generally speaking...problems with specific programs...can probably be chased down by viewing the FAQ and/or forums for those particular applications.

Have you tried that with either of the programs you mentioned?

And...one other thing to remember...corruption can occur at any time. The uninstall/reinstall routine overcomes this issue in many a program.

Louis

#6 Oscar TG

Oscar TG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:38 AM

Can you post your PC specs.

Pentium 4M CPU 1.80GHz
768Mb RAM
30Gb HDD partitioned into 2 equal parts, C: for Windows and Programs, D: for data

Also have a 500Gb IDE drive attached via a USB/IDE cable, and a Soundblaster Extigy external soundcard.

Generally speaking...problems with specific programs...can probably be chased down by viewing the FAQ and/or forums for those particular applications.

Have you tried that with either of the programs you mentioned?

Yes, on both forums, to no avail, no-one else reports a similar issue.

And...one other thing to remember...corruption can occur at any time. The uninstall/reinstall routine overcomes this issue in many a program.

I completely uninstalled everything, including Windows, and reinstalled from scratch just in case.

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:49 AM

It sounds a bit like overheating to me.

Are all of the rubber feet on the bottom of the computer present?

Have you tried blowing the cooling fins with compressed air?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#8 Oscar TG

Oscar TG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:13 AM

Thanks to everyone who responded, I finally found the fault... one of the cooling fans at the back has ceased to be, it is an ex-fan, it has shuffled off this mortal coil... basically the CPU was overheating so throttling back to prevent damage. Once again, thanks to everyone who took the time to read and/or respond.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,850 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:33 AM

...a tip of the hat to Albert, nice thinking, sir :thumbsup:!

To Oscar: Glad you solved it, happy computing :flowers:.

Louis

#10 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:02 AM

...a tip of the hat to Albert, nice thinking, sir

Thank you. I am so smart, it's scary!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users