Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Hard Drive Disappeared

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Corie

Corie

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:07 PM

Well, i dont know what happened one day its there and the next poof. Its my secondary drive, so of course its holding alot of "valuables", so I would really appreciate any help in retrieving it.

When I start up my PC normally its not there, if I go into safe mode its there, and I can drag files to my other drive if I need them and they will be there when I reboot. BIOS recognizes the hard drive also, I never have had a problem like this. Thanks for any replies...

Corie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:06 PM

Is this a newly-installed or recently installed drive? I'm trying to find out if the drive worked perfectly until today...or whether today is Day One for using it as a secondary drive.

First thing I would do...check all connection to motherboard, power supply from drive.

I would also check Event Viewer, keying on any error which mentions "disk".

Is this a USB-connected drive...or connected directly to the motherboard/PS?

I would also attempt to run chkdsk on the drive, following the instructions for using the graphical version, XP Chkdsk, Using the Graphical Version (My Computer) - http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html Put check marks in both options (Auto fix and recover) which appear when you click the Error-Checking button.

If the chkdsk is unable to complete (not what we want, but a possibility), I suggest immediately downloading and using (per instructions) a diagnostic program from the website of the respective hard drive manufacturer.

Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp. - http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287#samsung

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

#3 Corie

Corie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:52 PM

no ive had this drive for awhile, but what i dont understand is why can i access the drive under safe mode and even move files from one drive to the next? Yes to answer your question everything is pluged in

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users