Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I Have Too Many Security Programs?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 shawnvw

shawnvw

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:44 AM

I suspect that one reason my computers are so slow lately is becasue I have more anti-virus and anti-spyware running in the background. On the other hand, these forums often recommend running more than one product. So, while I check everything on the "Slow Computer" topic here on BC, could someone tell me if I have more than I need?

On my desktop computer (Windows XP) I have:
McAfee Security Center AOL Edition (Firewall, Virus Protection, Spyware Protection, System Guard (vs unwanted changes), script scanning, E-mail and Instant Messaging scanning. It also tells me that I should installs McAfee on the laptop so that it can "monitor its protection status" through its Manage Network feature. I currently have Network Magic on both computers, which I think does the same thing.)
Iolo System Mechanic (Not currently running in the background)
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (Not running in background)
Windows Firewall

On my laptop computer (Windows XP Media Center) I have:
Norton Anti-Virus (Unsure if its running in background)
Norton SystemWorks (Unsure if its running in background)
Windows Defender
Iolo System Mechanic (Some parts running in the background)
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (Not running in background)
Windows Firewall

By the way, my friend tells me that my cable modem and/or router have a built-in firewall, so that I don't need one on the computers themselves. Is there a way to confirm that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users