Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Port Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 drjaxon

drjaxon

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:34 AM

I have an HP Pavillion running Vista Home Premium 32-bit operating system and AMD Turion Mobile Tech 64X2. The notebook has 3 standard USB ports. I've been able to use these with any USB device with no problem until lately, just one of them won't recognise any device plugged into it. EXCEPT, if I plug in an external 4 port USB hub, it recognises that as well as any device plugged into that external port, BUT runs them only as a USB 1 (standard) rather than the USB 2 (enhanced). I looked under Device Manager. No warnings or errors are noted by any of the controllers or Hubs. I tried uninstalling all of the controllers and hubs, Vista reinstalled them, but the port still doesn't work right. Is this a hardware problem, or is there a software solution? HP reccomends doing a full system restore, but that seems a lot of hastle just to get one of my ports working right again. I did try plugging in an external hard drive to that port (before it went bad). I used a power adaper that was 12 V instead of 5V, for not more than 30 seconds. Could that have messed up the port? Any suggestions welcome. drjaxon :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:22 PM

I used a power adaper that was 12 V instead of 5V, for not more than 30 seconds. Could that have messed up the port? Any suggestions welcome. drjaxon :thumbsup:

Most definitely. Does the external hard drive continue to work?

Edited by garmanma, 28 March 2008 - 01:24 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 drjaxon

drjaxon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2008 - 02:03 PM

This is yet to be determined. I couldn't get the ext drive to be recognised by my lap top (too little USB power - I guess), and it wasn't being recognised by an eMac. I need to set up my old Windows 98 desktop machine to see if it might work with that. Although the 98 machine has only one USB connection and its to the mother board.

#4 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:58 PM

My guess is that port is now dead. I did something similiar to
my desktop box after first building it and that one USB port has
never worked since. Shame too because it's on the front panel and
I use those a lot for USB joy stick and my PSP and phone hookups.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users