Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Disk For My Laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 q28

q28

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:26 AM

i have a toshiba satellite 1110 with 30 gb something Hard disk space, im planning to replace this with a bigger one.
is there a limitation for harddisk? i mean i want to get more or less 80 gb, will it work with my laptop?
and also i checked my old hard disk using everest, it says my hard disk is ultra ata/100, will it work if im going to buy a Sata or sata II instead of ultra ata?
thank you very much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:58 AM

Worth reading, IMO: http://techreport.com/articles.x/9378/1

From looking at the various Satellite 1110 specs (it seems that users require 8-digits, not 4), it appears to me that your system likely only has the IDE connectors.

To employ a SATA drive, you would need SATA connectors (described somewhat in the link I provided) which are quite different from IDE connectors.

Some IDE drives: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....&name=ATA-6

As for limitations on hard drive size, I believe the only one that mattered has been overcome by SP1 to XP. Detailed reference material on "barriers" is at Hard Drive Size Barriers, In Depth - http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/hard_drives/...ze_barriers.htm

For all intents and purposes...if you are not running FAT32 and older Windows systems, there are no barriers to hard disk size on today's systems.

Louis

#3 q28

q28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:28 AM

thanks a lot Louis. i can't barely understand some of the terms there though. so if im goin to buy a ultra ata 100 also with a higher size, it will probably work?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:46 PM

Sorry :flowers:...you want to buy any 2.5-inch...PATA or IDE laptop hard drive.

Size is up to you...just try to get the most for the least :thumbsup:. Brand names are inconsequential, there are only so many hard drive manufacturers and I cannot really say that any one is better/worse than the others.

Have you bothered to take a look at your current hard drive? That will give you a physical image of exactly what you are going to buy, only the capacity will be greater. If you haven't opened that bay in your laptop to take a look, you probably should do so and you will see what the connections and connectors look like.

Louis

#5 q28

q28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:57 AM

ok! im going to check it.
thank you very much for your help Louis!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:36 AM

Easily done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users