Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Uninstall Sp2 For Winxp?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:19 PM

Hello Everyone,

I have run into a snag and I need some help.

Over the summer my father-in-law gave us a Dell computer. The computer has some issues, so I want to rebuild the machine and start over from scratch. This is were the problem comes in, the CD I have for this machine is one of those stupid re-install CDs, and it has service pack 1 on the CD. The computer has service pack 2 installed and whatever updates have been released since SP2.

When I try to re-install WinXP from the CD I get a message stating that the version of the software on this computer is of a higher version then what is on the CD, and I cannot get the re-install process to go.

My best guess of what the message is saying is, the CD is SP1, the computer is SP2, we don't like you, so go pound sand.

What I'm wondering is, am I on the right track? If so, how do I un-install SP2 so I can get to the same version as the CD and thus rebuild the machine?

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get past this irritating issue?

Thx,

OSC
These days, I spend a lot of time thinking about the hereafter...
I go somewhere to get something, and wonder what I'm here after.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:32 PM

look for this update in add/remove programs
put check in show updates

KB835935 SP2-ENU.exe

click uninstall/remove

and uninstall any updates you can
you maybe required to restart your computer after each uninstalll

Edited by mme, 27 March 2008 - 10:34 PM.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:37 PM

You have to boot to the reinstall cd? It will probably wipe the computer and start over.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:26 AM

was going to post about system restore but then realised they'd probally be nothing saved that far back
but shouldnt booting from the installation CD wipe everything regardless of SP installed, ive never had a problem doing it.

Make sure you PC is set to boot from CD and then do a clean install
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:49 PM

You'll get this message if you try to launch the installer from inside the Windows installation. You can remove SP2 by uninstalling it from Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel..

But it would likely be easier to put the CD in the tray, then reboot the computer. As the Dell screen shows, press F12 to access the boot menu. Then tell the computer to boot from the CD drive. The installation routine will start and you'll be able to delete the old XP installation and install from the CD. Link here: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Also, you could slipstream SP2 into your SP1 CD and could use that. Another link: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windo..._slipstream.asp
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:48 PM

I had forgotten to mention in the original post that I had tried to re-install by rebooting but I could not get the boot-up process to recognize that there was a CD in the drive. However, since the original post I have gotten the boot-up process to see the disc and during the process I deleted the partitions. During the re-install process a prompt came up saying the hard drive had been damage and could not be written to. This was not surprising since the CPU did not fair well during the shipping (from my father-in-laws home to mine).

Instead of beating my head against the wall trying to see if I could salvage the hard drive I pulled two hard drives from the computer my kids are currently using and put them in this machine my father-in-law gave us, which is a newer/faster machine. One has the WinXP Home on it as the OS, and the other is just data. I tell you all of this so you have an understanding of how I have gotten to this point.

Now I am experiencing a different issue. The two drives I pulled out of older machine will not boot-up in this newer machine. I have double checked to make sure the drives are on the cable in the same order they were in the older machine, and the jumpers are the same as they were. I should be able to plug them in and boot-up, right? I mean they worked fine in the older machine.

What happens is the machine goes through the starting portion of the boot, where there is the option to select F2 to go to the bios, and F12 for the boot up menu (safe mode, last known config, etc), and the word DELL is written across the screen, then the boot menu comes up (without touching any keys). The first time this came up I select safe mode, and the next time or two I selected normal bootup. In all instances the bootup process starts to continue and then the CPU makes this weird noise,, and reboots, then the whole process begins again.

The weird noise is hard to explain, its kind of like a buzz, but muted in a way, but that is not exactly right either. However, that is the best I can do to.

Any thoughts?

Thanks OSC

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:52 PM

Any thoughts?

Describe the cd you have? that's the bottom line and we can proceed from there
Chewy

#8 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:12 PM

"I should be able to plug them in and boot-up, right? I mean they worked fine in the older machine"
NOT
when the os installs it looks at computer hardware
you must re-install os on old drive in new machine(partition,format,etc)

#9 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:15 AM

When you've put the new harddrive in the newer machine, when the OS boots up its looking for hardware that it was configured with - problem is this is all in the old machine!
You need to do a clean install of your OS on the harddrive after putting it in the new PC and if you have the correct CD this will be straight forward to do.
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#10 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 07:38 AM

So even though the hard drive already has an OS installed on it, I have to re-install it?

#11 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:19 AM

Yup, you need to reinstall. Windows is configured for the old computer and looks for the hardware from it. Since the motherboard is not the same it will not boot up. It's some sort of protection thing from Micro$oft....
My buddy replaced his mobo with one very similar to his old one and he still had to reinstall.. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:48 AM

There's a couple of things that go on when Windows boots. It looks for the hardware that it detected last time - and if it's changed it tries to re-recognize it. Even the exact same pieces of hardware may not have the same controlling firmware built in, so that may make for difficulties.

Another thing is the SID number assigned to the Windows installation. This number is associated with the hardware configuration - and if the configuration changes significantly Windows will think that it's not on it's original system and will refuse to play.

You can try a repair install to fix the installation (it works sometimes).
If you've got IE7 installed, read this link first: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964
Then use this link for the repair install: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2008 - 11:40 PM

I have another question, and I reusing this thread because I believe it gives all the background and information needed to answer the question.

In the computer my father-in-law gave us are two hard drives, the main drive (that which was the c:\) is the drive that went bad during the format, see above thread, and the second is a data disk, much larger, though I do not know how big off the top of my head.

In the computer my kids are currently using are also two drives, with a similar configuration as above.

What I want to do is, take the data disk from the kids computer, and make it the C:\ in the newer computer (father-in-laws puter) and use the data disk from the newer computer and continue using it as a data disk. What that means is that neither drive has had Windows installed on it before. I want to do this because the data disk (d:\) on the kids computer is larger then their current OS disk (c:\), and it only makes sense to continue using the larger drives.

So my question is, which install CD do I have to use? I have the reinstall CD that came with the Dell (father-in-laws machine) and WinXP Home that is installed on the kids computer. I would assume that I could use either, since I own them both, but some stupid rule of Microsofts says I have to use a certain one under certain circumstances.

...Oh, all of this will be put into the Dell machine, which I think answers the question, but would still like your thoughts.

Thanks in advance for any input.

OSC

Edited by OS_Challenged, 06 May 2008 - 11:43 PM.

#14 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2008 - 11:50 PM

It doesn't matter which hard drive you use, but the disk stays with the computer as a general rule

if the dell disk is not a complete windows installer then you would need to order one from them

Edited by DaChew, 06 May 2008 - 11:52 PM.

Chewy

#15 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:57 AM

So your saying that since I am moving everything to the Dell machine, I have to use the reinstall CD that was provided with the computer, correct?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users