Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Problems!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jaiisun

Jaiisun

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:24 PM

Hello there,

Well, I got a used computer from work, because it's a bit ingthan mine, so, I thought i'd put in my original hard drive in order to keep all my files and things. Upon doing so, I just keep finding myself at the screen where I am able to choose "Safe Mode", "Last known good configuration" etc, and upon choosing any of the options, the computer restarts and then takes me back to that menu.

The computer is an Intel Pentium 4.
I'm pretty amateur on computers, so if you can guide me how to find further detail if it's needed, I would be extremely grateful.

Also, my original hard drive is a Western Digital one, with model number WD800AB-00CBA1.

Please help me, it's driving me mad without my computer!

(For those of you who wonder, or care, i'm on my brother's laptop at the moment, and he's getting pretty annoyed!)

Please help soon.
Thanks,

Jay.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 09:21 PM

Taking a hdd with a OS on it that has been used in another machine and installing in another machine is not a good idea. Aspects of the registry recognize the chipset of the old motherboard, and when you introduce a new chipse it gets confused. At the least it usually will require you to run a repair, but usually will require a fresh installation of the OS. If you would like to read more about this you can read this article.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Jaiisun

Jaiisun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:01 AM

Okay, thanks for your help, but I really would like to avoid a fresh installation of Windows.

A friend of mine used a USB Knoppix installation to solve his same problem, will this work? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jay.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:45 PM

You can take the hard drive with the stuff you want to save and slave it to the other hard drive. There are plastic jumpers at the rear of the drive that you must change for master/slave. There should be a diagram on the units to show the correct position. You can then explore the slaved drive and transfer what you want
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users