Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Odor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:18 PM

Ok, well this is kind of a stupid question I'd imagine. But i just got my girlfriend a new vid card. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814127286. Which btw is about 15 bucks if you figure in the $50 game and $20 rebate. Anyhow when i slapped it in and booted it up it worked and everything, fan moving monitor working etc. But it gave off a funny smell. Not like burning/smoke really, more like ozone. Like when you get a can of spray and spray it upside down. She said it smelled like plastic, but that's how i'd describe it. It didn't overheat or anything, only got to 68C under a minor load. But the computer still smelled. I took it out and when she booted it back up with the onboard vid she said she still smelled it.

Now the odor is gone, but i'm thinking that her still smelling it maybe means we just overloaded the PSU and it wasn't really the video card after all?

First question is do they sometimes smell funny when nothing is really wrong? Kinda remember an odor when i put mine in but i was really paranoid about it anyway if you remember right :thumbsup:

Second question is does a PSU smell funny if you overwork it? then correct itself if the load is taken away?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:34 PM

It's kind of hard to describe a burning coil or wire smell. Any traces of smoke or excessive heat by the power supply?

Edited by garmanma, 27 March 2008 - 06:34 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:37 PM

It might be just a new smell. I remember when I first built my computer, it gave off this weird metallic type odor. Eventually it just went away. Also, I put the same power supply in my computer, and in my friends computer and smelled the same odor. The power supplies aren't cheap, and they have been working fine, I just think that they were "burning" off some of the chemicals and what not that they were made with or stored in.

I wouldn't worry too much about it unless something weird starts happening.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 smurfgod

smurfgod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 09:22 PM

no smoke or fires. before i RMA it i'm gonna stick the card in my comp. If it still stinks in here i'm gonna ship er back. If it doesn't smell in this one but does in hers again i'll have to wind up getting her a PSU that can power it. best i can think to troubleshoot it anyway. Sides 300W is pretty low for that card anyhow

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 09:43 PM

It may just be off gassing which isn't unusual with some new components.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users