Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Many Problems - Bsod; Slave Drive; And Comp Won't Start.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cyrella

cyrella

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:35 PM

so..

i have 3 problems.. and i was trying to fix them, but i'm seeming to have trouble..

1] a couple of days ago, the blue screen of death popped up.. said, "unmountable_boot_volume".. i've gotten that once before, when i downloaded a boot screen and didn't know how to use it.. but it was on a completely different computer.. so i called everyone i knew that was good with computers, and my friend told me that i was going to have to completely reboot the computer..

i have TONS of bleep on my computer.. pictures that i can't get back, songs that took me FOREVER to find..
so he told me to make the hard drive into a slave drive on another tower.. [i have 3 towers at my house..]

2] i went to the library and got online, searched for how to take out the drive and hook it up as a slave.. i don't know technical names, but here's what i did..

--took the drive out of the busted computer.
--took the shell off of my tower and disconnected the wide wire set from the main drive, and the 4 wire set from the main drive..
--i figured that the wide wire set was probably the main one, so i plugged it back into the main drive and just plugged the slave into a second 4 wire set..

all was good and well.. or so i thought..

3] i go to turn on my computer, and it won't start.. no fans, no LED light on the front, nothing.. and i had a lamp plugged into the power strip to make sure that it wasn't the outlet.. done all that.. i can never remember which one [o or --] means "on" on the back of the computer, so i just kept turning it on and off and trying the power button..

the computer is a pionex with an intel celleron processor.. made for windows 98, but i'm pretty sure i updated it to professional.. there is a small possibility that when i was moving, i left it outside.. i don't think it rained, but either way, i'm pretty sure that's one of the things that i would have brought inside with me..

ANY advice or help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:07 PM

The hard drive in your computer still needs to be the master. You take the drive you want to recover the pictures from and make it the slave. You also have to move the small plastic jumper in the back to the slave position. As far as it's not starting, I would suspect you knocked some wires loose when changing the drives. Most likely the 2 start switch wires or the power plug to the motherboard. The power switch could be 2 wires or a plug with several wires for the whole front panel, it depends on the model

Edited by garmanma, 27 March 2008 - 06:08 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:35 PM

Just wanted to be sure, it sounds too simple, but I can't tell you how many times I have found this.
The flip switch on the back of the tower, be sure it didn't get switched over to the "0" position, it should be on the "-"

If you get the computer to turn back on then I hope the following may be of some help:
The wide wire set, is the IDE connection that connects it to the motherboard and the 4 wire set is the power you get from your power supply. Every hard drive needs both the power and the IDE connection, unless you are using SATA, which you don't need to worry about.

Be sure each hard drive has the wide and the 4 wire connections. Then you need to set the jumpers correctly. As for you error, there is a possible fix but I don't know if you would feel comfortable with using it. Maybe a friend could assist you.

You may have a bad wide IDE cable or you may fix it with:

Method #2 in the middle of the page:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297185

I have successfully used this.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:50 PM

Here's a tutorial that may help you out.

Edited by dc3, 27 March 2008 - 11:51 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users