Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do Slot Coolers Really Help?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:22 PM

Hey, thinking about buying a pair of 8800GT cards but am concerned about the well-documented evidence of running hot, especially under load. I figure a simple and cheap solution would be to buy a couple of slot coolers to reduce the temps to a more acceptable range.

My question is, do those slot coolers really make a difference? If so, which ones would be best for cooling 8800GT cards?

Thanks!
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:52 PM

Most 8800GT cards can get very hot. Keep in mind that these cards are designed for the heat and can withstand temperatures around 90 to 100 degrees C. Make sure you have a case with plenty of airflow. All of the 8xxx series of cards run hot. Check out this forum for some commentary on the issue: HardForum.

3939.png

#3 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 05:58 PM

Well it would depend on your setup. How air is flowing in your case. But 2 8xxx cards you're talking serious heat. I've only got one 8600GT and had to mod my case for a side fan and put in http://www.legitreviews.com/article/223/1/ right under it. that cooler is big, takes up 2 PCI slots. but it works way better for my setup than the exhaust fan i had put in there originally. I've got it set almost on top of the fan on the card which would work for your bottom vid card but the top one there's no way you'll fit in in there. But to answer your question yes it does help. Well worth the 15 bucks or so it cost me.

#4 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:16 PM

Well, if it helps, I'm using an Antec P180 case (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129154&Tpk=11-129-154)

So the sucker's a big one with 3 big 120mm fans that I have currently set at medium. I plan to crank them up to the top setting when I upgrade to the 8800GT cards, but was wondering if that may still not be enough, especially in SLi configuration.

I suppose I could always get the cheapo slot fans just to be a little more sure, but single digits in temperatures can mean the difference between a humming card and a fried one.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#5 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:31 PM

Well, the 8800s are supposed to be really big, so i'd get them first and see, but if you're good with a dremel tool or a drill and a bench grinder you may have to doctor up the side panel. mount a fan or 2 directly over the cards. the GPU has its heatsink and fan but the GDDR gets nothin, except hot. Just something to keep in mind if you have to cool it more.

Well, the 8800s are supposed to be really big, so i'd get them first and see, but if you're good with a dremel tool or a drill and a bench grinder you may have to doctor up the side panel. mount a fan or 2 directly over the cards. the GPU has its heatsink and fan but the GDDR gets nothin, except hot. Just something to keep in mind if you have to cool it more.

i'm jealous of your top vent tho :thumbsup: does give me an idea how to work one into mine tho

Edited by smurfgod, 27 March 2008 - 06:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users