Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant Get Past The Loading Screen

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AmorEMorte192

AmorEMorte192

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:56 PM

Awhile back i had a virus, but i got rid of it by the help of people here. Now everynow and then my laptop wont load past the Windows XP loading screen. I generally go into safe mode and will do a system restore and it will work fine for a few shutdowns or restarts, but it varies in the number of times i can shut down. Should i just reformat? or should i attempt a repair. Also my codecs are messed up, i can only play DVD's with VLC media player, i'd rather use Windows Media, but it only plays about 25% of the time. Any suggestions for either topic are much appreciated, thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:18 PM

The fact that Windows will pause during boot or won't boot...can possibly be fixed by using the fixmbr command from the Recovery Console.

Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

XP RepairUsing FIXMBR Command - http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_instal...on_tips483.html

Any error messages of any sort when this inability to boot occurs?

Are you using the current version of WMP?

I don't know what codecs you have installed...but it might be worthwhile to try the K-Lite Codec Pack or something similar.

Do you have a MS XP CD?

When you say "repair" do you mean "repair" or "restore"?

Louis

#3 AmorEMorte192

AmorEMorte192
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:54 PM

After i hold the power button down it will say something along the lines of "we appologize for the inconvinience...." You may start in Safe Mode, Safe mode with networking, safe mode with another option i can recall, Last known working settings, and Start normally. I go into general safe mode and will go to system restore. I do have the XP Pro disk, ive been in the "epair command, but i was afraid to try any of the commands as i dont know what im doing. I know i saw Fixmbr though. Thats generally the process i have to go through in order to get it to work at all. Once i hear a response from you again (thanks for the quick reply) i will go ahead and do a repair off the cd.
As far as WMP goes, i am using the most current version gotten off of the website. The player did not work from the time i installed XP forward, a friend of mine got the XP codec pack off of his computer and gave it to me, i used WINrar to extract the files and install them. I uninstalled the codecs that were on the computer and proceeded to install the new ones. According to Gspot V2.7a im missing ac3filter.acm. I will download the "K-lite" pack and post again once ive tried those. Thanks again i really appreciate it.

#4 AmorEMorte192

AmorEMorte192
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:42 PM

i downloaded and installed K-Lite 3.8.5 Standard and i still am not able to play dvds. Just a quick update.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:50 PM

Thanks, I understand a lot better.

There are any number of reasons why this failure to boot may happen, it turns into a guessing game where wrong answers are systematically eliminated...so be patient :thumbsup:.

Do you have broadband?

The reason that I ask is that I'm considering a repair install of XP, which will leave your data and program files untouched/unchanged, but will require reinstalling all critical updates which have been issued since SP2. Last count I did, that was a total of 93/95 or so and there have been a few more since then.

In order to do that, we need to change your boot options so that booting from CD is the first choice.

When you attempt to boot the system, does it give you a chance to go into SETUP (the BIOS)?

How to get into your computer's BIOS - http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/reinstall-...enter-BIOS.html

Just to give you some idea of what I'm talking about, http://www.hiren.info/pages/bios-boot-cdrom

Once you change the boot option, the system should boot from your XP CD...and we can get on with the repair.

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

I am bypassing the fixmbr attempt...because the mbr will be changed/repaired as part of the repair install process...as will all other system files. If it fails to boot afterwards, we can immediately eliminate the O/S as part of the problem.

What is the manufacturer/model for the laptop?

Louis

#6 AmorEMorte192

AmorEMorte192
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:30 PM

It is a Dell Inspiron 1505, originally had Vista on there but it was incompatable with some of my programs. T7200 2.0Ghz dual cores, 4mb cache, Nvidia GeForce Go 7300 256mb, 2 gig of dual channel shared ram. I think thats pretty much it for upgraded parts (from manufacturer). Thank you for the help. I will boot from my XP disk and follow the steps from the links you have posted and post the results

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:16 AM

Just a reference for your drivers, http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid=

Took me a while, it seems that your model is E1505 and I was looking for a 1505 that doesn't exist under the Inspiron laptops :thumbsup:.

These should be the XP drivers, in case you ever need them.

Louis

#8 AmorEMorte192

AmorEMorte192
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 11:27 PM

I was trying a few other options before doing a repair, i changed almost everything in msconfig except for windows boot options, and changed in "My Computer properties", Advanced, and changed from "What windows thinks is best, to "Best Performance". I have started up fine for the last 10 boots, im not sure if it is resolved but it would appear to be. Is it possible that something in my "Msconfig" was causing it to hang up on the loading screen?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:34 AM

LOL...anything is possible in ComputerLand :flowers:.

MSConfig is a troubleshooting tool, although many use it to attempt to control start-up items. So, the answer is "yes, changing those settings can affect system boot."

Well, if it's working to your satisfaction, there's really nothing to be gained by doing a repair now. So, enjoy the peace as long as it lasts and you have an idea of where to go for assistance.

Happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users