Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Burn Partition Image

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 She Haunts Me

She Haunts Me

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:19 AM

Is it possible to burn a partition? I have a factory restore partition on my system. Would it be possible to burn an image of that for backup in case my HDD ever decides to fail?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:31 AM

With disk-imaging software, you can burn an image of the contents of a given partition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_image

In a slightly different process, with disk-imaging and partitioning software, you can make an exact copy of a given partition to another hard drive. I've never tried burning a partition image to media but I have made a clone of a partition.

Examples of disk-imaging software: Acronis True Image, Symantec Ghost. There are others but I have no familiarity with them.

It won't hurt to take a look at the respective websites for each (Acronis and Symantec) and read what they do, how they work, etc. and see if that meets what you wish to do.

Although the two programs I mentioned cost, there are free programs that purport to perform the same tasks. I have no experience with any of these.

I've no experience with restore partitions, but I guess that I thought such were invisible, http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/

That would make it somewhat hard to burn an image, I think.

If I understand what you really want...you want to create a restore CD from your restore partition? If so, what is manufacturer/model data for this system?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 27 March 2008 - 08:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users