Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean Install Of Windows Xp Pro

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 trumpetman51

trumpetman51

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:32 AM

Fellow Bleeping Computer users,

I am going to go out on a limb here and risk sounding (as well as revealing) how ignorant I am in the fine art of Windows XP.

What I would like to do is a CLEAN INSTALL of the OS (Windows XP SP Professional). Also, I would very much like to preserve my "current user EVERYTHING" so that after my clean install I am able to easily reestablish that aforementioned "current user EVERYTHING". I don't really use any backup program per se. Rather, what I do, is I regularly COPY (entirely) my user folder from within Documents & Settings to a folder on my Storage Drive.

I KNOW there must be a fairly "simple" way for me to do a CLEAN INSTALL of PX and then, if and when I so desire, either TOTALLY or PARTIALLY re-establish this current user into my new, clean install of PX.

Do I want to make an "Image" of my USER files and folders? OR, do I want to make an "Image" of my entire "CURRENT" install of XP??

Also, what kinds of methods are at my disposal for doing this and when I ask, "what methods are at my disposal" I am SERIOUSLY looking for the simplest, yet most dependable ways to accomplish my considered task.

And so, I turn to you, the community of users of this forum because I KNOW that among YOU lies the best answer for me to accomplish what I am setting out to do and I KNOW that I can completely depend on your knowledge, reliability and HONESTY..AS WELL AS your ability to make this as easy for me to both understand AND accomplish!!!

Thank you, as always I KNOW I will NOT be disappointed!!

:thumbsup:

trumpetman51 (John)
"The right direction's all that counts and there's no way for me to get there late!!"

trumpetman51 (John)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 05:20 AM

If you have an external hdd for storage move all of the files that you wish to save to it. If not burn these files to either a CD or DVD. When you make the fresh install you will lose all of the files that aren't part of the operating system.

This tutorial should explain everything you need to know about the installation. One thins I would suggest ignoring is where they suggest on upgrading your BIOS, you shouldn't need to, if this is done wrong you will lose the BIOS...this is a major problem.

Edited by dc3, 27 March 2008 - 05:20 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:06 AM

I've never used it...but there is also the Files & Settings Transfer Wizard that seems to be a tool for what you want to do.

The problem that I see with using such is...what if those files/settings are contributing to your current situation which makes you want to do a clean install?

In any case, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457074.aspx

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users