Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupt Registry; Cannot Reformat/reinstall Xp!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 mgatsby

mgatsby

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:51 PM

A quick rundown of my pitiful state...
1. I accidentally deleted the entire CLSID folder from the system registry. Yes I know it's really dumb to mess around with the registry, there's no point telling me this now.
2. After doing that, I found I was unable to perform any operations inside of Windows (XP Pro) so I tried rebooting
3. Upon rebooting, Windows seems to load normally until I get to the login screen. At this point, all I see is the default blue windows background with the logo. There is no prompt where I select a user or enter a password, nor is there an option in the lower left corner to shut down the computer. It stays like this for eternity, although I can move the mouse around.
4. I tried rebooting using safe mode, then "last known good configuration," then ALL the other options (safe mood with console or something, and a few others) but ALL OF THEM run into the same problem as #3... it just takes me to the login screen but doesn't give me any name to click or password prompt.
5. Sooooo I think it's about time I just reformat the drive and reinstall Windows. All my documents are backed up and Windows was getting slow anyway so a reformat/reinstall would be good anyway.
6. I put in the Windows XP install CD. In the BIOS I put the boot order so the CD loads first.
7. The setup CD loads up and takes me to where I can choose to install XP, use the recovery console, or exit. I choose install XP
8. It goes through some steps and then it takes me to the part where it asks which partition I want to use. I see this screen for about 2 seconds and then BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH. However, in those 2 seconds, I've noticed that in the box where it would normally list the partitions, there are 4 options that all say something like unknown device. I have installed windows before and I know what the box should look like, but right now it doesn't list C: or D: or any drive at all. It just shows 4 nameless options that all look like errors. I get the BSOD before I can do anything. If I try to be fast and press ENTER or D (to delete) then the BSOD immediately pops up.

So I tried using the recovery console
9. I go to the recovery console. First weird thing is it doesn't ask me to login as administrator. It just gives me the command line prompt:
C:\>
10. If I try to do "format C:" I get the message
"You cannort format removable media."
11. If I try to do "chkdsk" I get
"The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems"
12. When I do "map" I get
G: \Device\CdRom0
13. When I do "logon" I get nothing, just a new line and then C:\> again.
14. If I try to md into anything like "md Windows" I get
"Access is denied."
15. If I try to "diskpart" then I get the same thing from when I tried to install windows: 4 nameless/error partitions and then a BSOD.

A little background:
My computer is a Sager NP9750. Upon purchase it did not come with any operating system because I chose not to buy it with any OS since I had the XP Pro install CDs and a legit key.

Seriously I am at my wit's end. If any of you guys can figure this one out I would be enormously impressed, very grateful, and I would refer everyone with computer problems to this website.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:06 PM

well you can zero the drive
wipe it out with boot and nuke
unzip the file and burn to cd
install cd and turn your computer off and turn it on
boot and nuke will detect your harddrive
you can begin wiping it out

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

choose this one
Download DBAN for installation on CD and DVD media.

#3 mgatsby

mgatsby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:27 PM

aright so i am currently trying DBAN. it did detect the drive, unlike windows diskpart, and is currently in a very long process of--it seems--reformating the drive. however it says theres over 2 hours remaining in the process and I have a 80 gig drive. is this normal?

#4 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:47 PM

yes it is...
it also depends on how much info was stored
nothing to worry about

#5 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:54 PM

What error code did you get with the BSOD?

It should be something like STOP: 0x0000007A (0x30298342, 0x20394820, 0x32908472, 0x09809834)

Of course, your numbers will be different.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#6 mgatsby

mgatsby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 12:13 AM

I'm afraid I can't go back and look at the BSOD numbers at this point D:

#7 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 12:27 AM

Well.. if you get them again after DBAN. (Because I think you will. Windows Setup is ususally fine with a non-zerod out disk)

Hope DBAN fixes it.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#8 mgatsby

mgatsby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:46 AM

Well DBAN didnt fix or make any noticeable changes that I could tell. I got to the partition part and go the same results and here is the error code:
STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x8081C09C, 0xF6FFD798, 0x00000000)
If that helps, please let me know!

Anyways I'm really confused as to how this problem could arise. From what I understand, when I erased the CLSID registry folder that just screwed up a lot of the software configurations to the point where Windows couldn't load up properly. How did this affect my ability to format the hard drive? Or for that matter, how did this affect the Windows setup to properly read the hard drives? Just some random thoughts.

#9 mgatsby

mgatsby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:19 AM

Actually, I think there may be a separate issue here. I just noticed that the Windows XP Pro installation CD that I am now trying to use may not be the same one I used 2 years ago when I first got my computer.

Upon loading the setup CD, I see some loading messages at the bottom that seem to indicate Toshiba-related things. I didn't read them closely enough or know if they are hardware or software, if they are for important system parts or just peripherals, but there did seem to be a lot of them. This is probably the CD that we got for my brother's computer (which is a Toshiba, unlike my Sager which did not come with windows pre-installed). Would this be enough to effect the setup from being able to detect existing hard drives/partitions? Tomorrow I will try to locate the other installation disc.

#10 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:00 AM

You can legitimately use another person's XP installation as long as you use and have your own key :flowers:

But no, using another CD shouldn't affect your installation whatsoever and the BSOD (Blue screen of death) errors usually indicate and software or hardware message. Seeing as your drive is clean, it is probably a hardware problem in my opinion.

Try reseating the RAM, and even better try swapping your RAM with another stick of RAM if at all possible. Then try again :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Surf smarter, surf faster, surf safer, surf with Mozilla Firefox

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:40 AM

STOP 0x8e errors (shorthand for what you wrote) are usually hardware compatibility issues - which could also mean a driver or BIOS issue.

Assuming that this is not a BIOS issue (since the computer worked fine earlier) and that you weren't able to see the drive(s) when attempting to install Windows - the first question would be "Are you trying to install Windows on a SATA hard drive?". And, if so, the next question is "Did you load the SATA drivers for the motherboard controller when Windows prompted you to "Press F6 to load SCSI/RAID drivers"?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:03 AM

You may find this link useful:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315335

Billy3
Posted Image

#13 kalpia

kalpia

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:43 AM

This may have been covered, if so my apologies. You mentioned that the XP disk is Toshiba(?), if so it might be a clone of that (brother's) system and not a stand along XP Pro installation CD and therefore have some presets that other systems won't understand and thus the BSOD. I know that if I try to use a cloned XP CD from another computer manufacturer (ie HP) on my Gateway or Dell it won't work, I have to use my regular XP Pro CD for formating/setup.

Just a thought, good luck.

-Kal
To error is human, to forgive is against company policy

#14 mgatsby

mgatsby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for all the responses

1. Resetting RAM: how do I do this? I don't have any replacement RAM I could swap it with.

2. SATA drivers: this is something I don't know anything about. When I purchased the computer, it came with just 1 80gig hard drive but gave me the option/capability of doing some kind of RAID array/crap I never bothered with.

I installed the drivers for that function but never actually used it. However, before I installed the drivers, I noticed that the boot went from BIOS to Windows. After installing the RAID software (specifically, VIA Tech SATA RAID BIOS v4.93) there is a screen after BIOS and before Windows that spits out some stuff I don't understand and gives me the option of "press TAB to." Anyways, at some point (before I started getting this problem) I tried pressing TAB just to see what the options were. A blue menu opened up (much like a BIOS menu) that displayed some options about creating a RAID. But, I would get a message saying "the number of disks is not adequate to create a RAID" so I wouldn't actually be able to use any of the options. However, it did (and still does) display my hard disks which is apparently listed as "SATA."

I have no idea what it means that I have a SATA disk. Is there something I should be doing different before trying to install Windows?

3. Alternate windows CD: In case the problem is in fact that I am using this Toshiba-provided Windows XP Pro install CD instead of an independent install CD, I've gone ahead and called a friend to use his install CD instead. I should be getting it later today and hopefully that will resolve everything... but something tells me it won't :[

#15 TheNerd

TheNerd

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:12 PM

Thanks for all the responses

1. Resetting RAM: how do I do this? I don't have any replacement RAM I could swap it with.

This means you will have to open up your computer and find the ram sticks. Take them out, blow out the slots and ram to get the dust off if any, and then put them (maybe there is only one) back in the same place you took it out of.

2. SATA drivers: this is something I don't know anything about. When I purchased the computer, it came with just 1 80gig hard drive but gave me the option/capability of doing some kind of RAID array/crap I never bothered with.

There are mainly 2 types of drives that come in personal computers IDE and SATA. SATA is the newest one. I've never had a problem but you might have to go into the bios and turn on legacy emulation or something like that for the sata. You manual that came with the PC (if you got one) should tell you what kind of drive you have in it.

Is there something I should be doing different before trying to install Windows?

Try what I said above.

3. Alternate windows CD: In case the problem is in fact that I am using this Toshiba-provided Windows XP Pro install CD instead of an independent install CD, I've gone ahead and called a friend to use his install CD instead. I should be getting it later today and hopefully that will resolve everything... but something tells me it won't :[

I've had problems trying to use a Dell CD on a Toshiba in the past so it could be that the XP cd is loading drivers for a specific device that your computer doesn't have and is causing a conflict. As mentioned before as long as you have a valid license key for XP then you can use anyone's cd.

Hope that helps a bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users