Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:51 PM
A quick rundown of my pitiful state...
1. I accidentally deleted the entire CLSID folder from the system registry. Yes I know it's really dumb to mess around with the registry, there's no point telling me this now.
2. After doing that, I found I was unable to perform any operations inside of Windows (XP Pro) so I tried rebooting
3. Upon rebooting, Windows seems to load normally until I get to the login screen. At this point, all I see is the default blue windows background with the logo. There is no prompt where I select a user or enter a password, nor is there an option in the lower left corner to shut down the computer. It stays like this for eternity, although I can move the mouse around.
4. I tried rebooting using safe mode, then "last known good configuration," then ALL the other options (safe mood with console or something, and a few others) but ALL OF THEM run into the same problem as #3... it just takes me to the login screen but doesn't give me any name to click or password prompt.
5. Sooooo I think it's about time I just reformat the drive and reinstall Windows. All my documents are backed up and Windows was getting slow anyway so a reformat/reinstall would be good anyway.
6. I put in the Windows XP install CD. In the BIOS I put the boot order so the CD loads first.
7. The setup CD loads up and takes me to where I can choose to install XP, use the recovery console, or exit. I choose install XP
8. It goes through some steps and then it takes me to the part where it asks which partition I want to use. I see this screen for about 2 seconds and then BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH. However, in those 2 seconds, I've noticed that in the box where it would normally list the partitions, there are 4 options that all say something like unknown device. I have installed windows before and I know what the box should look like, but right now it doesn't list C: or D: or any drive at all. It just shows 4 nameless options that all look like errors. I get the BSOD before I can do anything. If I try to be fast and press ENTER or D (to delete) then the BSOD immediately pops up.
So I tried using the recovery console
9. I go to the recovery console. First weird thing is it doesn't ask me to login as administrator. It just gives me the command line prompt:
10. If I try to do "format C:" I get the message
"You cannort format removable media."
11. If I try to do "chkdsk" I get
"The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems"
12. When I do "map" I get
13. When I do "logon" I get nothing, just a new line and then C:\> again.
14. If I try to md into anything like "md Windows" I get
"Access is denied."
15. If I try to "diskpart" then I get the same thing from when I tried to install windows: 4 nameless/error partitions and then a BSOD.
A little background:
My computer is a Sager NP9750. Upon purchase it did not come with any operating system because I chose not to buy it with any OS since I had the XP Pro install CDs and a legit key.
Seriously I am at my wit's end. If any of you guys can figure this one out I would be enormously impressed, very grateful, and I would refer everyone with computer problems to this website.