Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Load Avg On My Acer Aspire 9420 Laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 richie78

richie78

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:43 PM

I just wanted to load the AVG Free virus progrm onto my ACER computer that is running VISTA. All of Vista and other programs were preinstalled on this computer by the factory. When I tried to run the AVG software, I received a message that there was another preloaded anti virus software already on this computer and strongly recommended removing it befor trying to load AVG. I tried to identify the ant-virus program that I didn't know was on the machine, and I couldn't find any. THe closest thing I was the "Defender" program, and I'm not sure that I should remove that program. So I didn't proceed to load the AVG anti virus software.

Can anyone explain what my computer might be referring to when it says an anti virus program is already running on my computer? Also, what would happen if I just went ahead and loaded the AVG program without first removing the "Existing??" program?

richie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:50 AM

Is there an internet security suite running?

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:50 AM

through whom or how do you connect to the internet? part OF this connection may have an antivirus protection method within it ?

how 'new' IS this computer? if it IS under warranty you may wish to get it looked at by the store from which it was purchased to avoid invalidating the warrantly?

does it happen to have Norton preloaded??

what would happen if I just went ahead and loaded the AVG program without first removing the "Existing??" program?

if it IS an active and valid antivirus program , you would then have TWO antivirus programs on board

NO computer should have more than ONE installed antivirus program else each will wye for supremicy on the computer and fight each other and NOT possible infections and you will actually be running 'unprotected'

can you possibly take a screan shot of your Control panel's add/remove programs section for us to see what MIGHT be possibly considered to be an antivirus program?

#4 richie78

richie78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:44 PM

through whom or how do you connect to the internet? part OF this connection may have an antivirus protection method within it ?

I connect with the Netzero dial-up to the internet.

how 'new' IS this computer?

It's an ACER Aspire 9420 laptop bought about 3 months ago. The store from which it was bought is about 1400 miles from my home, so I can't go back to the store.

if it IS under warranty you may wish to get it looked at by the store from which it was purchased to avoid invalidating the warrantly?

does it happen to have Norton preloaded???

I expect that it's still under warranty. And the computer came with a free 90 day trial of Norton Internet Security. However, I have never activated the 90 day trial, and the only thing that's active is the Norton pop-up window that asks me if I want to activate Norton trial program. Comes up each time I boot the computer, and each time I decline.

#5 richie78

richie78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:47 PM

Is there an internet security suite running?

I don't know what that is, or if such a thing is running.

Please tell me what you're Talking about.

#6 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:22 PM

if this http://www.netzero.net/

is your connection it comes packaged with Norton;

Norton AntiVirus™ - Included Free

if you wish to install AVG you will need to completely remove the Norton from the computer; however, as the comp is under warranty , as I understand it, you will then invalidate the warranty
I suggest you MAY wish to save the AVG exe in a convenient place on your computer ( such as a folder named Downloads which you create in My Documents )

To remove Norton you will need to use the appropriate removal tool from

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

and you will need to deactivate the Norton to do it

AND , as you are on dial up, once norton IS uninstalled you will need to get the AVG installed and fully updated and run to check for any already infections on board, as you have, in effect, been running completley unprotected , and on dial up with the inherrant risks OF dial up

please let us know how you get on?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users