Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Installing Driver Updates

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:39 PM

I have HP notebook, windows 95 every thing is out of date.!! ive downloaded varius updates for it to floppy discs. how do I install them?? all help is appritiated. thanks kenny

Edited by keny111111, 26 March 2008 - 08:32 PM.

Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:52 PM

You need to be a little more specific on what it is you want to update
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 keny111111

keny111111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:21 PM

all driver updates.. im doing them right now. most of them come with installer.one of them so far did not come with installer. i read a tuturial said save to desk top. but that was a driver. not an update. is that correct?
Have A Great Day

#4 keny111111

keny111111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:38 PM

also doing 1 HP OmniBook 4100 BIOS update.. said to copy to floppy. witch i have done so far.then said smething about starting PC in BIOS mode? im not very good on computers and worse on this old one..said something about when BIOS was complete to stick a staightened out paper clip somewhere?? make any sense??thank you very much
Have A Great Day

#5 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:35 AM

also doing 1 HP OmniBook 4100 BIOS update.. said to copy to floppy. witch i have done so far.then said smething about starting PC in BIOS mode? im not very good on computers and worse on this old one.

If its a BIOS update then you need a bootable floppy with the update on it. Now it will depend on your BIOS manufacturer how these updates are installed. Award give you an option to save your original BIOS so if anything goes wrong you can up the older version back in. I can't say how other manufacturers deal with this problem. You should see instructions how to install the update of their web site.

To get into your BIOS will vary depending on the manufacturer. Look at the screen when the computer starts up. It my say press Del to enter setup, or F2 or any combinations of keys. :flowers:

said something about when BIOS was complete to stick a staightened out paper clip somewhere?? make any sense??

No I've never heard of that one, not for the BIOS anyway. You can use a straightened paper clip to open a CD Rom draw. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#6 keny111111

keny111111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:37 AM

ive got the bootable floppy now. just not sure what to do with it !!!
Have A Great Day

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:01 PM

ive got the bootable floppy now. just not sure what to do with it !!!

Google "how to flash a bios" and you will find many tutorials. This is one http://www.bootdisk.com/bios.htm
It is very often unnecessary to flash a BIOS. If it goes wrong (and it can) you end up with a doorstop
Updating for the sake of updating is a waste of time, unless you have something specific you want to fix. In other words, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#8 keny111111

keny111111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:25 PM

garmanna thanks for help.. ill skip BIOS update. im downloading windows 95 up date now.i want to be able to connect to dsl and upgrade to windows 98. i have a d link but embarq tech says without windows 95 (sp2 or something = to) the d link cant be recocnised by modem. is this true?? one more Q. how to install 95 update if it dont come with installer? thanks again kenny.
Have A Great Day

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:14 PM

That's probably true about SP2. Where are you downloading it from?
Mark
Posted Image

#10 keny111111

keny111111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:46 PM

HP, thats where BIOS came from also. any suggestions on if 98 would work on nootbook? pc says 32.0MB of RAM -87% free, i ordered a 128 MB chip ok or not? 3.64 GB used 1.02 free 2.61 thanks again kenny..

Edited by keny111111, 27 March 2008 - 04:59 PM.

Have A Great Day

#11 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:33 PM

:thumbsup: Hiya,

My son was recently given an HP Omnibook 400 notebook, with Windows 95 installed, now that was very old to come face to face with. Anyway, I managed to get hold of an 98 SE upgrade disc and upgraded without any problems, installed a new pcmcia modem and put the notebook onto the web. However, when I ran the Crucial memory scan, although the scan was unable to recognise most of the components due to their age, it did comfirm that the current memory installed was32 mb and the maximum allowed would only be 80 mb. Dont know if this helps, but thought I would impart this bit of imformation for you,.

Best of luck,

Tony.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#12 keny111111

keny111111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:42 AM

bonneville thanks for input. ill do some checking.iread max RAM=288, just found a forum at HP for all notebooks. thanks again kenny
Have A Great Day

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users