Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Real Player

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 06:53 PM

Most people know that RealPlayer is a fairly bloated piece of software, and that you can use RealAlternative, but there is another version available without the adware attached.

An interesting read - http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,143700/a...ml?tk=nl_sbxcol

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:20 PM

Nice. Thanks for the link.

But is there a way of knowing whether the currently installed one contains adware or not? I don't really have trouble with my Real Player at the moment- no pops or unnecessary interruption, etc. Does that suggest no adware?

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:10 PM

Hi Juha

It's the old story, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Stick with what you are happy with. The link may be useful for those who are not happy.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:56 AM

From StopBadware.org:

BAD OR UNDISCLOSED BEHAVIOR

Software does not fully, accurately, clearly, and conspicuously disclose the principal and significant features and functionality of the application prior to installation (guideline II.A.a.iii.)
The advertising software bundled with RealPlayer is misleadingly called a 'message center', and is described incompletely and inconspicuously in the EULA as software designed to provide useful software updates. When RealPlayer 10.5 is installed, the advertising features of this 'message center' are enabled by default for users who choose not to register their personal information with RealNetworks after the software is installed.

Software which installs deceptively (guideline III.A.)
RealPlayer 11 does not disclose that it installs Rhapsody Player Engine, and does not remove this software when RealPlayer is uninstalled. Users are not informed by the installer or uninstaller of the connection between RealNetworks and Rhapsody Player Engine.

I think it's important to note that the RealPlayer 10.5 message center only contains the advertising feature if you do not register. Not sticking up for Real, wouldn't have it on my systems.
In addition, The link provided via PCW leads to RealPlayer Gold 10 (bbc ver). The Mac version is downloadable. The link for the Windows version is broken as it "attempts" to lead to RealPlayer Gold "11". (watch the url) Did not check the linux version.
And last but not least, there has always been a corporate version (Current ver. Enterprise 1.13 free) of RealPlayer that contains non of the usual crap associated with RealPlayer and is only half the size. Me thinks the author of that PCW article needs to do more homework. :thumbsup:

Edited by HitSquad, 27 March 2008 - 07:23 AM.

#5 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 09:25 AM

Software which installs deceptively (guideline III.A.)
RealPlayer 11 does not disclose that it installs Rhapsody Player Engine, and does not remove this software when RealPlayer is uninstalled. Users are not informed by the installer or uninstaller of the connection between RealNetworks and Rhapsody Player Engine.

Thanks for that HitSquad. I had forgotten about Rhapsody Player Engine. Just remembered that I had, some time ago, uninstalled it from my computer after learning about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users