Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copy A Computer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wrhatt

wrhatt

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:48 PM

I have a computer running XP that is dying. Itís a no name built from spare parts. I have learned that Dell outlet is selling computers that still run XP. Is there a program that will take everything off the old computer and transfer it to the new computer? I do NOT want to have to re-load all the programs, patches, and upgrades Iíve collected over the years. Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:28 PM

Using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...november12.mspx

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:46 PM

There is only one tool I know of that can do this. It will copy over your entire windows installation, and then make it work on your new hardware.

Its called Acronisģ Universal Restore, and its kind of expensive, because you need a copy of True image echo to use it.

You could install something like the free VMWARE server and use the vmware converter to run your old machine as a VM inside your new one.

You are probably better off using the machine with the new install anyway given that it has "been a number of years" since you last formatted ;).

If you just want to copy over the data, raw's tip is good. Just remember that the Files and Settings transfer wizard does not copy over your programs, just your data.

Hope that helps,

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#4 wrhatt

wrhatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:23 PM

Acronis looks like what I'm looking for. I'd rather spend the money than spend a day or 2 reloading XP and all it's patches and service packs as well as Outlook. Not to mention trying to find the software to reload other programs I have. Thanks for the information.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:10 PM

You can download Seagate' DiscWizard which has the Acronis True Image, it's a free download.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:16 PM

You can download Seagate' DiscWizard which has the Acronis True Image, it's a free download.

Yes, but not universial restore, which is the whole point. It only works with an Acronis corporate product such as Workstation Echo or Server Echo.
:*(

Vmware converter can do what universial restore does, but not to another physical machine, only to a vm.

Billy3

EDIT: Fix double post

Edited by Billy O'Neal, 26 March 2008 - 11:17 PM.

Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:19 PM

If you copy an image of your hard drive over to a new computer you will run into problems because all the hardware drivers will be set up for the old machine. You may need to then boot the new machine into safe mode and update the drivers.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:21 PM

If you copy an image of your hard drive over to a new computer you will run into problems because all the hardware drivers will be set up for the old machine. You may need to then boot the new machine into safe mode and update the drivers.

Thats what universial restore is for :thumbsup:

Acronisģ Universal Restore allows you to restore to different hardware or to a virtual machine, providing complete disaster recovery. Acronisģ Universal Restore prepares you for even the most unforeseen events.

Billy3

Edited by Billy O'Neal, 26 March 2008 - 11:22 PM.

Posted Image

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 12:27 AM

My mistake, I misread the post. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users