Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Device Eject Annoying Message

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 trodas

trodas

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:17 PM

Classic USB device, like a classic keychain flash drive, remove from my Windows 2000 SP4 open always this window:

Posted Image

Even I use the sync.exe utility ( http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ddisk/sync.mspx ) with parameters "sync.exe -r -e" with flush and eject the drive. Then I think it is safe to eject the USB device, since I already forced all the data to be written on the device before removing it.

Yet still the message appear.

Any ideas how to disable it?

"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
"I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway :) my config

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:19 PM

Have you tried flushing and ejecting the disks by clicking the icon indicated in the dialog box?
(Sorry, have to ask)
Is there any specific reason you are dismounting the disks from the command line?

The problem is, even if you flush the data, you have not dismounted the filesystem. This can cause data loss, which is why this message is shown.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 trodas

trodas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:34 PM

Of course. If you do that using the windows right click/eject device function, then it do same stuff neverless.

If I just know, in what DLL / file is this requester, so I can mod it...

And I having a shortcut that eject my Zip completely and it works 100% well. Even ejecting the drive itself. It does cause requesters only for the USB keychains. Not for CF/SD memory cards. So yes, there are reasons. And yes, it happen for many others too. And yes, using the windows itself too... :thumbsup:

"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
"I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway :) my config

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:36 PM

Sorry, had to ask :thumbsup:

Try this:
add this command to the batch file you are using:
MOUNTVOL <driveletter>: /d

Use this instead of sync.

What do you get?

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#5 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:42 PM

Here, found exact syntax for that command:
http://www.ss64.com/nt/mountvol.html

Billy3
Posted Image

#6 carpetshark

carpetshark

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:55 AM

Where this turns into a problem for me - my Canon printer can read from compact flash cards. I always print from Photoshop and simply never use the card in the printer. Since there is no card, there is no darn info to lose! It also does it when you have transferred the contents from a USB stick to the computer via cut and paste. There shouldn't be any info on the stick. (probably some hidden stuff)
carpetshark

#7 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:02 AM

try this program... i am not sure if it will work on your computer but try anyway
usb disk ejector
or try this
remove drive

direct download

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users