Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have a huge problem with my computer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 seattleboy

seattleboy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 21 July 2004 - 03:25 PM

Hello, everyone at Bleeping Computer

Last night I was on the internet and my computer made this wierd noise three times right after each other and shut off.

I've tried to turn it on several times and it takes me to a menu that says something like "your computer could have not been turned off properly". It then gives me four options on how I could start up my computer, they are something like ("Start in safe mode", "Start in the last configuration that worked", "Start in safe mode with configuration" etc.) I have tried all the ways they gave me to start up my computer but once the grey percentage bar on the bottom of the black screen is done, it goes to a blue page briefly and shuts off. I can never see what the blue screen says before it turns off, because it's so fast.

I'm thinking this could be the work of a hacker or some kind of strange virus, but I have anti-virus and anti-adware protection such as; Spybot Search & Destroy, Spysweeper, CWShredder, HiJackThis and I scan my computer online with Panda Software daily. I really don't know how this happened I don't have any file sharing programs once so ever, so this is all very strange. I'm wondering if could somehow get all the stuff that was on my computer back if possible.

PS: I'm posting on a library computer with very limited time, so If someone could help me can you please help me as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance,
Seattleboy :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 21 July 2004 - 03:44 PM

So you have rebooted in safe mode and it gives you the blue screen as well? It will be hard to diagnose this as we do not have much info to work with and have no ability to enter the OS.

Well if we have to reinstall the OS, your files will still all be there, so you should not worry about that. If it is a registry issue we can possible restore the registry and see if that fixes the problem. Read these steps below:

1. Insert your Windows CD into your computer and reboot.
2. When it prompts you to "Press Any Key to Boot from CD", press any key.
3. When the screen appears that gives you the options to Setup, Repair or Quit, press R on your keyboard to enter repair mode.
4. At the next screen select the installation of windows you would like to work on. For most people there will be only one option.
5. When prompted enter your administrator password and press enter on your keyboard.
6. When you get the prompt, type cd repair to enter the directory where a Registry backups is stored.
7. Type the following lines, pressing enter on your keyboard after each line:

copy default c:\windows\system32\config
copy sam c:\windows\system32\config
copy security c:\windows\system32\config
copy software c:\windows\system32\config
copy system c:\windows\system32\config

NOTE: If it prompts you to overwrite the existing files, select Y for yes.
8. When you are finished, type exit and press enter.
9. Remove your Windows CD and reboot.

#3 seattleboy

seattleboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 21 July 2004 - 03:55 PM

I don't have my windows CD, if I got the Windows XP CD from someone else would it work?

Anyways I will be back tommorow to check on this thread, cause my library time is over.

Thank you so much for helping me :thumbsup: .

Edited by seattleboy, 21 July 2004 - 03:57 PM.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 21 July 2004 - 04:10 PM

You can use the XP cd from someone else as long as you have the CD Key/Activation key that went with your original computer. Do you have a recovery cd from the manufacturer maybe?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users