Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade From Single Core To Dual Core?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jmoyet

jmoyet

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:39 PM

Can a store bought computer with a built in Single Core CPU be upgraded with a Dual Core while still being in the motherboards FBS Mhz limit range?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 04:03 PM

Probably depends on the motherboard. Are you comfortable with removing the heatsink/fan?

Your motherboard manual ought to tell you, since those are printed with various options (not solely for systems with onboard CPUs).

I have had several motherboards with built-in CPUs...but I've not tried to upgrade the CPU.

Since this system has such a motherboard, I just looked in the manual. Mine specificly says that it "supports onboard AMD Athlon XP/Duron processors." That means no upgrade path to another processor, as I interpret it.

In your case, it would be the owner's/system manual that would be the reference, not motherboard manual (unless you have one).

What is the system manufacturer/model information?

Louis

Edited to add link to drivers: http://www.emachines.com/support/product_s...amp;model=W3502

Edited by hamluis, 27 March 2008 - 08:58 AM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:32 PM

If you would please post your motherboard make and model, we can find out what it will support. If you don't know what the motherboard is you can download SIW, this is a free utility which will provide you with most anything you wanted to know about your computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 jmoyet

jmoyet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:32 AM

I have an eMachines W3502 with the original Intel D101GGC motherboard and the original Intel Celeron D 3.20Ghz CPU it came with.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:31 AM

This is a list of the CPUs that are supported for that motherboard.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 jmoyet

jmoyet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:43 AM

Oh ok thanks for the help :thumbsup:

#7 jmoyet

jmoyet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:38 PM

I just bought a Intel Pentium 4 Single-Core Processor with the thermal paste. My current CPU that is installed in my computer is an Intel Celeron D Processor 352 (3.20GHz, 533MHz FSB, 512KB L2 cache)

The Intel Celeron D runs hot at a lowest that i have seen of 42C (with all the fans running at 100% using speedfan) and the hottest I'v let it get 64C (with the auto bios fan control).

So from the reviews of the Intel Pentium 4 i bought the temp should be round 25C and overall cooler running computer.

Edited by jmoyet, 29 March 2008 - 12:44 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:57 PM

Fan/heatsink?

I've never had a Pentium 4, but I think that some of them tend to run hot, see comments following: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=I...amp;btnG=Search

Louis

#9 TSalarek

TSalarek

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2009 - 02:10 PM

How'd it go for you? I upped mine to a Hyperthread Pent 4 and the board was fried in less than 4 hours.....

Would really like to know if someone managed to upgrade the processor on this system...especially since EMachines (Acer) insists it isn't possible.

#10 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2009 - 02:29 PM

My niece has a emachine with the Intel D101GGC motherboard that has ran almost 24/7 since I gave it to her a couple of years ago.

The trick to getting a emachine to last without frying the motherboard is to take the Bestec power supply out of it & put it in the trash where it belongs.
Put a decent power supply in, 450 Watt, or better.
Then add a P4 & max out the memory.

On the CPU running hot, ALL "prescott" & "Presseler" core CPU's run hot.
]Prescott is a version of P4 & Celeron D, Pressesler" is the Pentiom D

If you can get one to idle at under 50C you're doing good!
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#11 TSalarek

TSalarek

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2009 - 03:07 PM

Yeah...I had a 550 power in mine at the time. Thank god the processor survived. Powered it up, took it online, installed all the Windows BS, restart and BOOM..DOA. "heat related event"

#12 jmoyet

jmoyet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:36 PM

I'v upgraded the CPU, Graphics Card, RAM, HDD, and PSU.

It currently has the Intel Pentium 4 HT 3Ghz CPU and its been running fine for over a year now.

Sounds like you might have done something wrong during the installation of the CPU.

Edited by jmoyet, 14 June 2009 - 06:37 PM.

#13 TSalarek

TSalarek

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:39 AM

must have I guess...my HT is 3.2, though..maybe just a bit much for it? Like I said, I'm happy the processor survived. Maybe it was the board, though. We couldn't get it to take Bios updates or a Graphics card. We must have tried over a dozen cards. Have a new board now that will actually go dual....and a very pretty NVidia card that just loves my new flat monitor.

Forgive the gush, but it was my stimulus 09 gift to myself ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users