Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm About As Confused As I Could Be....

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 trumpetman51

trumpetman51

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:11 PM

Dear fellow Bleeping Computer members,

I am about as confused as I can be.

I am trying VERY hard to keep my PC running as lean and mean as I possibly can. Then, I go to install an application that says it needs Microsoft .NET FRAMEWORK installed......

Well, where do I begin? There is version 1.1, version 2.0, and version 3.0!! Which one do I want to install? Or, do I want to install ANY of them AT ALL???

The last time I installed version 2.0, it turned out that I eventually had to ALSO install some kind of UPDATE or SERVICE PACK for it also....

So, I guess what I am trying to find out, is WHICH ONE is most versatile, least troublesome, most helpful...?

I am NOT a developer, so I don't need it for that purpose....

The application that I mentioned before is Win XP Manager which is a sort of souped up WinXP tweaking tool...and it does much more. It is supposedly a good program for maximizing one's XP installation. Getting rid of "deadwwod", maximizing settings, etc. When you start it's setup, it informs you that you must have Microsoft (or is it Windows) .NET Framework installe don your machine for it to work. It mentions v.1.1 OR v.2.0....so, WHICH ONE??

Can anyone make a suggestion to help me figure out what to do here??

Thanks again for being here to listen and to help out!! :thumbsup:

trumpetman51 (John)

Edited by trumpetman51, 26 March 2008 - 03:13 PM.

"The right direction's all that counts and there's no way for me to get there late!!"

trumpetman51 (John)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:49 PM

IME, any application needing MS.NET...indicates what version it also needs.

I have 2 ATI cards and I have to use MS.NET to download/install any updates for the drivers. As soon as I get the drivers, I remove MS.Net from my system (because it serves no other purpose and may never be used by me again).

I go with the latest version that is out, in this case 3.5.

I believe that the earlier versions continue to be downloadable because some older apps might not be compatible...but that's just a hunch of mine. My ATI drivers don't seem to care whether it's 2.5 or 3.0 or whatever...although I doubt if the first version would work properly with the ATI downloads. But, from what I read, much depends on when that program requiring NET was written.

Bottom line: You can have each installed at once on your system...and there is no conflict. I've had 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 installed at the same time with no problems.

More info on NET: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework

Louis

#3 ///

///

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 04:16 PM

Hmm, I had this problem too, but when I downloaded all the Microsoft updates it worked again. :flowers: go to the official site and download the latest version. :thumbsup:

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:46 PM

It's been my experience that only the most recent version is necessary. I have yet to run into a program that explicitly depends on an older version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users