Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive fun

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Skraylor

Skraylor

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 20 March 2005 - 12:19 AM

Like I said, its a long story but here goes:

First I will give important specs on 2 comps:
Comp 1 (Moms): Win 2000pro, 1 HD(15gig,2 partitions), 433mhz Celeron
Comp 2 (Dads): Win98, 1 HD(15gig, 1 partition), 400mhz Pent II

Ok, parents asked me to make 2 computers become one by way of transferring 2 hard drives (see above) to a new 80gb one.
I first used Norton GHost to create backups of all 3 partitions. I decided to use Dad's case/mobo/proc so I moved all ram/NICs/etc. Then I took the new Western Digital 80gig HD, set it up as master and my mom's HD(2 partition one) as slave in Dads case. Tried booting and bios doesnt detect a IDE Primary Master. Ok, I thought, I switched the 80gig to slave and mom's to master. Now it didnt detect a IDE Primary Slave. Disconnected moms and tried to run the 80gig alone, again, no IDE Primary Master detected. I thought this made sense since I had no boot disk or any form of Windows installed on it.

Here's the big kicker. Seeing if I could add the HD profile to Windows on my mom's HD, I unplugged the 80gig and ran mom's as master alone. It gets past BIOS setup and I get to the screen where it is booting up the bootup screen for Win2k. NOT this Win2k Startup but the screne RIGHT before it where it is still in DOS and it says "Starting Windows 2000" and it has a little bar to show progress and it loads quickly. However, it reboots the computer before it gets to the booting windows screen(see link above). Just to make sure the drive wasnt damaged I stuck the drive back in her original case and BAM, it works fine.

I guess my main questions in this are:
1) Why does it reboot?
2) Why does BIOS basically freeze when trying to detect the new 80gig HD? Do I need to do something to it before it will be detected?

Thanks in advance for any help

Edited by Skraylor, 20 March 2005 - 12:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Skraylor

Skraylor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 06:39 PM

bump

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 09:09 PM

Hi Skraylor and welcome to BC. Thats not so much a long story as it is a little confusing so hopefully I got this straight.

Moms hard drive won't boot Dads computer and visa versa. Those drives are looking for the hardware that was programmed into it when the OS was installed when you boot. So moms HD when it boots is looking for moms NIC, Video, MOBO etc and is trying to load those drivers. Of course dads NIC, Video, MOBO etc are different and moms drivers don't work. Same thing for dads HD trying to boot moms computer. OS tries to load but the hardware is all wrong for the drivers.

As far as the 80GB drive I suggest that you determine the MOBO type and model number that you are going to use it on and check the website for a bios update. Most likely the bios won't recognize a drive that big but you should be able to flash it, hopefully.

Flashing a Bios is fairly simple but if it goes wrong the mobo is toast so be very careful you have the right make and model for the mobo and the right bios version when you flash. Post back with the make and model of the mobos and we'll help you get the right bios for them if you would like.

Edited by Leurgy, 20 March 2005 - 09:12 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users