Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Doesn't Recognize Sound Card

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dogslikeus

dogslikeus

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:57 PM

i recently purchased a MIDI keyboard for my computer (m-audio oxygen 49) and after some initial difficulty it is now working perfectly. however, in the process i managed to somehow delete or alter the driver that tells windows that i do indeed have a sound card. the program i use to make music, reason 4.0, allows me to select the sound card and it does produce sound so the sound card is still installed and working. however windows itself doesn't believe i have one. when i go to control panel / sounds / audio tab, the drop down menu for sound cards is greyed out. under the hardware tab, it tells me that the "microsoft WINMM WDM audio compatibility driver" has had a service disabled (code 32). i have tried disabling and re-enabling it to no avail.

i tried to visit the microsoft update site and redownload this driver, but i use firefox and it requires internet explorer. however, my IE has not worked in months. it will open but for some reason it doesn't believe i'm connected to the internet.

so basically i'm trying to decide if i should just reformat (it's been about a year and 6 months, so it's time) or if i can pull this off. the only issue i have with reformatting is that i lost all of my original disks when i built this computer so i'd have to repurchase a lot of programs. if anyone has any suggestions at all i would greatly appreciate it.

thank you.

Edited by dogslikeus, 26 March 2008 - 02:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 04:29 PM

Try this Firefox add-on
https://addons.mozilla.org/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 ///

///

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 04:36 PM

Do you have IE7 that seems to be the only one that works now :trumpet: Or go to control panel--> add hardware--> Next--> let it search--> yes i have connected the hardware click on sound and download it :thumbsup:. OR go on your sound card's site and download the driver :flowers: note: go on dxdiag on run and find out what your sound card is by clicking on the sound tab :inlove:

#4 dogslikeus

dogslikeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 12:38 AM

garmanma: thank you for the suggestion, but that didn't work.

///: i do have IE7, but it still doesn't work. no clue why. i have the latest drivers for my sound card so i know that's not the issue. the sound card itself works fine, it's some sort of driver for windows itself that tells it to use sound.

i tried dxdiag and got this when i tried sound 1: DirectSound test results: Failure at step 3 (DirectSoundCreate): HRESULT = 0x88780078 (No driver)

sound 2: DirectSound test results: Failure at step 3 (DirectSoundCreate): HRESULT = 0x88780078 (No driver)

music: DirectMusic test results: Failure at step 6 (Activating the IDirectMusicPort): HRESULT = 0x88780078 (No driver)

i think i might try running windows repair install in the morning.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 12:47 PM

Are you using Winamp? Even if you're not, read this thread. It might be of some help
http://www.ozzu.com/mswindows-forum/winamp...-drivers-error-
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 dogslikeus

dogslikeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:59 PM

SOLVED!

i was able to do a repair install of windows and it fixed everything.

thanks for the suggestions :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users