Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq Presario

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 greenjeans63

greenjeans63

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:03 PM

Hello All;
I hope I am posting in the correct area. Maybe should have posted in System Building and Upgrading. (?) I am curious to know if anyone is familiar with Compaq Presario machines. My niece (who has had one for 7 years and loves it) has to keep her original monitor here at my house (no room for storage at hers) in case she has to "re-do" her computer because she says it won't allow her to use the flat panel monitor she NOW has. She has to hook up what origianlly came with it (in hardware) when she does a reinstall of the OS. :thumbsup: I've heard several times that Compaq Presario is like that but I don't know if that's a true statement or not. Could it be limited to certain models, maybe? Or is it true of all compaqs? My aunt is looking to purchase a 2003 Compaq Presario (that's all the detail I have about it) and she wanted to know if that was going to be a problem with her purchase as well. Since I had no clue :huh: how to answer that (as I'd be basing it on my niece's experience alone), I thought I'd ask here.
I am also wondering if that would mean anything that was upgraded on the machine (video card, memory, replacing the fan...just to name a few things) would need to be removed and have the original stuff put back in it as well. I have looked over Compaq's website and not found anything to support that, but haven't tried to contact them as I wanted to ask around. I know sometimes you don't always get a direct answer from support. You either get the runaround or you're told you have to purchase this or that and knowing how many computer forums and experts there are out there, I wanted to ask the experts HERE first. Anybody have a clue on this? I don't want to steer her wrong. Is it bogus bullcrap to think you'd need all original hardware for a "do-over", or is it close to the truth in any part?

Edited by greenjeans63, 26 March 2008 - 02:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 04:01 PM

From what you describe, I'm guessing the LCD monitor she has that won't work with the Compaq is because the plug on the cable is different. That could be solved by adding a newer video card if you have the proper vacant slot. It's the age of the computer and the technology of the time that determines this, not simply because it's a Compaq. Same for memory. What is the model number of the computer?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 greenjeans63

greenjeans63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:51 PM

Hello garmanma;
Thanks for the reply. I called my niece, and her daughter gave me this number (said it was the only one listed on it):

S602OWM

Is that what you need?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 12:37 PM

You don't have a lot to work with but you can make some improvements. Stock memory is 256 (1 slot). You can go to a gig total (2 slots) fairly cheap
Crucial-Check Here
Video is only so-so. I believe the flat panel won't work because it has a DVI connector. Unfortunately, you only have two options. Your computer does not have an AGP slot only PCI. Cheap way out is to try a VGA/DVI adapter, such as this one http://www.newegg.com/. Keep in mind, you'll only have 64mb of video memory.
You could also get a PCI slot video card that has a DVI connection such as this one with 128mb http://www.newegg.com/
More selections here http://www.newegg.com
Keep in mind that you're not going to play Wolrd of Warcraft on anything like that with it

I meant to add that these can be installed without formatting or reinstalling the OS

Edited by garmanma, 27 March 2008 - 12:41 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 greenjeans63

greenjeans63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:14 PM

Okey dokey and thank you very much. I will relay the message and let her decide what to do with it. Appreciate the help.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 03:23 PM

Just on a side note. Its generally not a problem on older computers, but on newer machines due to a new chip installed on Motherboards (I am at a loss to the proper name at the moment) It may be required to re activate windows after upgrading components. Usually the motherboard. It's a simple process that requires you to either go online and reactivate through windows website or call the 800 number and talk to a service rep. They are generally really good about it just let them know that you are changing components due to a system failure. This probably doesn't apply in this case but this may be the information that your niece is going off of.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 03:41 PM

Was it the motherboard or the hard drive? I remember reading somewhere about Western Digital trying to pull something like that
Mark
Posted Image

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:11 PM

According to a contact at the University Of Toledo. (My dad) New dell computers (laptops especially) come equipped with a system authentication chip that keeps the system configuration on it. The software (Microsoft OS's) checks this chip and will not allow it to be installed on any other system or any other configuration. I tried to briefly Google search the topic and it hasn't made much press. This is hear say and not fact proven as of yet.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:46 PM

Most Compaqs are imaged with a recovery partition. If the original hardware
is not found during recovery it will fail. I am on a Presario right now and it has
this recovery image.

Recovery Partition
Warning!

This area of your hard drive
(or partition) contains files used
for your PC Recovery.

Do not delete or alter these files.

Any change to this partition could
prevent any recovery later.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users