Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow startup and poor internet transfer speed

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kardinal

kardinal

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 19 March 2005 - 11:05 PM

Am having some performance issues with regard to bootup and internet connection speed. I have DSL but the fastest download rate I can get is 170kbps and should be around 1200kbps for my area. Is there someplace I can check the settings and or restore defaults. The other problem is that when the blue dell logo appears startup it just sits there for 5 to 10 minutes before finally booting up. Any advice or help that might guide me in the right direction would be appreciated. System is a Dell Dimension 700mhz P3 WinXP/SP2.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 19 March 2005 - 11:16 PM

Generally it is best to break up your post into separate posts for each problem, but let me take a stab.

1. Have you used one of the on-line tests to determine your exact d/l speed?
http://www.dslreports.com/tools
If this tests significantly lower than the speed promised by your provider, you should call its tech support so they can check your connexion.

2. There may be several causes for slow booting.

One of the most common is that your computer is loading too many unneeded applications when it starts up. There are many applications, such as Spybot Search and Destroy, that list what is being loaded on start up and allows you to delete them. To determine which to delete, look these up at BC's Startup database.
A second possible cause is spyware, which can be removed by several good, free applications like Ad-Aware SE.
Another possible cause is lack of maintenance. Deleting junk and unneeded files, running scandisk, and defragging should be done on a regular basis.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users