Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unmountable Boot Volume

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JohnCe

JohnCe

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 01:27 PM

My brothers lads have been playing with the keyboard on his Dell Dimension 3100 ( XP home edition SP2, 512 Mb ram, 80 GB serial ATA Hard drive, ) and now it will not boot at all.
The BSOD codes are OX.OO-- ED, OXC,OOOOOO6, OX,82375E58, .
I have spent a lot of time trying to find out about this - but can`t figure out if downloading a boot disc for XP will help or even if it will work on a dell computer as the Recovery Consol may not be in the XP file!
My brother was not supplied a system restore CD, would my own XP Media Edition one will be of any use?
A pointer to a site for a solution ,that can be used from a CD drive and full instructions, would be most welcome if possible please? Regards JohnC.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 04:19 PM

You can download the recovery console from here:

http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/rc.iso
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 JohnCe

JohnCe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:10 PM

I loaded the above file to a CD and tried it tonight.
I put the disc in the drive and turned the computer off then on again.
Safe mode came up, so tried last known good configuration - the XP screen appeared for about 5 seconds and then the BSOD.!
Same thing happened on all the scenarios from safe mode.
Does this mean that I have to tell the computer to boot from the CD drive?
Regards JohnC.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:15 PM

Yes, but you'll also have to use an ISO burner to burn the file to a CD. The file comes in a special format that requres it to be burned to a disk in a certain way. I like this free tool to do it with: http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

Just follow the instructions there for creating the CD. Then put it in your CD drive and restart the computer. As the Dell screen comes up, press F12 in order to get to the boot menu. Select your CD drive and press Enter to boot from it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 JohnCe

JohnCe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:54 AM

Tried for a couple of hours last night - ended up on the hard drive diagnostics page!

Spent an hour looking for commands this morning on my machine - popped round to my brothersplace, typed in CHKDSK /P and after remembering to take out the recovery disc - away she went!
I left after leaving `Bleeping Computers`on bookmarks for Him, getting rid of an anoying anti-virus programe and downloading AVG.!
Thankyou Budapest/usasma. Regards JohnC.

Edited by JohnCe, 29 March 2008 - 08:55 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:12 PM

FWIW: chkdsk /p does not result in anything being repaired on a system, it's a read-only command.

Either chkdks /r or chkdsk /f will result in repairs being made, with the chkdsk /f functions also accomplished by chkdsk /r.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb491051.aspx

Louis

#7 JohnCe

JohnCe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:50 PM

I`ve just checked my notes for yesterday Hamluis and I ran CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption - but couldn`t get the thing to boot then. Thinking about it now I probably tried to boot with the CD still in the drive - but can`t tell from my scribbles! Thanks for the correction. Regards JohnC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users