Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Caps Lock warning

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 19 March 2005 - 11:02 PM

Tips for the Fumble Fingered

Ever get into a furious typing session only to discover that you've typed half a paragraph in all caps? Your pinkie finger has betrayed you? There is a way to help prevent that. Make Windows play a sound when the Caps Lock key is pressed.

Here's how:

1. Open your PC's Control Panel and then Accessibility Options (In XP use Classic View).

2. On the Keyboard tab , click the Use Toggle Keys checkbox.

3. Click OK.

Now you'll hear a sound when you use Caps Lock and also Num Lock and Scroll Lock.

If you're a bit hard of hearing or need a visual warning for some other reason, try this:

1. Repeat step one above.

2. In the Sound tab ckick to check the Use SoundSentry checkbox.

3. Click the Settings button and select Flash active window in the Warning for windowed programs drop-down menu.

4. Click OK and you're done.

Now every time you hit Caps Lock or the other Lock keys, the currently active window will flash at you. :thumbsup:

:flowers:

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2005 - 12:38 PM

Papakid: Cool tip, thanks.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2005 - 08:34 AM

Cool, thanks. I've always had this type of problem before.

#4 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 25 March 2005 - 09:13 AM

Thanks for the tip, i have had this problem many times and get really angry at my computer.

#5 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 25 March 2005 - 09:35 AM

I have one word for your tip Papakid.

Awesome...Awesome...andAWESOME

Still one word-just repeated more then once...and yes it did turn on during the all caps word :thumbsup:
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2005 - 09:55 AM

I can not seem to find this. I could of swore I have seen it before. This is driving me crazy. I could really use this. I have ME.

In My Control Panel, there is no Accessability Options. Unlesss it is inside something else.

I can find in Add/Remove > Windows Setup Tab > Highlightlight Accessability Options> Click on Details > Includes Tools to change keyboard, sound display, & mouse behavior for people with mobility, hearing or visual impairments. Is it in there?

I ticked Accessability Options. Now what? How do I get to the next steps to the Keyboard and then Toggle Keys?

I can't believe I can not do this. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2005 - 07:00 PM

Im about to write a tutorial on how to kill certain keys on your keyboard so it wont happen at all. I while doing things on the computer get ready to get a knife and pluck off that key.
What do you think? Think it might be a good idea?

#8 The Trip

The Trip

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2005 - 10:23 PM

A shortcut to toggle that on or off:

Hold Caps Lock+Scroll Lock+Num Lock
at the same time for about seconds then press OK when the window pop's up.
To turn it off do the same thing, but when you turn it off there is no confirmation window.
At school when me and my friends are board we turn this on to bug the teacher, as well to make some retarded bleep-songs.

#9 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2005 - 01:05 AM

A shortcut to toggle that on or off:

Hold Caps Lock+Scroll Lock+Num Lock
at the same time for about  seconds then press OK when the window pop's up.
To turn it off do the same thing, but when you turn it off there is no confirmation window.
At school when me and my friends are board we turn this on to bug the teacher, as well to make some retarded bleep-songs.

Does this keyboard shortcut also affect the Scroll Lock and the Num Lock? I'm asking because, I do not really need to do this with them. Would it make the sound when I scroll and hit the number keys (right hand side)?

I always have the Num Lock on. Since I prefer using the number keys on the right hand side. Would that make a difference?

Edited by scarlett, 27 March 2005 - 09:17 AM.

Posted Image

#10 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2005 - 09:06 AM

I found some steps for ME. It is possible that it was not inially installed when your computer was made. Let me know if this is your case.

Click START ->Settings ->Control Panel ->double click accessibility Options ->In the Accessibility Properties dialog box, Select the Sound tab ->To turn on SoundSentry, select the Use SoundSentry check box ->close Control Panel.

(source:http://www.microsoft.com/enable/training/w...oundsentry.aspx)

#11 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2005 - 09:21 AM

I can't find what you are refering to JE. This is what I can do.

In My Control Panel, there is no Accessability Options. Unlesss it is inside something else.

I can find in Add/Remove > Windows Setup Tab > Highlightlight Accessability Options> Click on Details > Includes Tools to change keyboard, sound display, & mouse behavior for people with mobility, hearing or visual impairments. Is it in there?

I ticked Accessability Options. Now what? How do I get to the next steps to the Keyboard and then Toggle Keys?
Posted Image

#12 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2005 - 11:18 AM

That is where it is located on mine and it is XP.

I have a better idea on how to find it, because I do not have a running ME computer yet. Click START -> Help and in the search box, type 'togglekeys'. If Im not mistaken, you can make the change directly from the help screen.

As worse case, if you do not have it installed as an optional component, do you have your Windows CD handy?

#13 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2005 - 12:47 PM

Im in the middle of writing my tutorial on disabling caps locks,windows key or switching it to another key such as shift.

Thats why I want to ask PAPAKID can I use your write up about making it beep? I also want to put it in there but dont want to re-write it since you have one well written?

I hope if so to have my Tutorial ready by the next couple of days or whenever you reply.

Thanks -
Austin

#14 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2005 - 12:53 PM

For some ironic reason, in my whatpulse statistics the number of times I use the Caps Lock has gone up since I added this feature....

can't resist playing music with caps lock key... can't.... fight.... it...
:thumbsup:

#15 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,586 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2005 - 03:03 PM

Man, I didn't realize this topic had so many replies. :thumbsup:

Scarlett, you will need to install Toggle Keys to get the sound warning and Sound Sentry to get the visual warning. Evidently you don't have Accessability Options installed as an optional component. You may be able to use the method The Trip posted (BTW, thanks for that The Trip) but I think you will have to have Accessability Options installed first for it to work. And don't worry, it only makes a sound when the Lock keys (inclucing NumLock) are pressed--not when the number keys themselves are pressed--will help to let you know when your numLock gets turned off accidentally.

I'm not sure what you're seeing when you get to the point you describe, but I found a tutorial that may help:
http://www.dak.com/tutorials/Tutorial_MissingComponents.cfm

That's for installing the optional components thru Add/Remove. You may need your original ME CD but probably not--you probably have setup files on your hard drive. You should be able to put a check by and install either the entire Accessability Options or just Toggle Keys and Sound Sentry individually, just make sure you get the latter two.

When you've got want you think you want checked, click OK, and then I would close everything out and reboot. Then try following the instructions in my first post or the Trip's method.

Austin, will talk at you later.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users