Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Pro Will Not Start Except Under Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 orbdragon

orbdragon

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:24 AM

I have waded through a few pages of search terms (but not all 40-odd that pop up no matter my keywords), but nothing I've yet come across seems to quite match my problem.

My computer begins booting up fine, passes the POST, then flashes white and fades to black like putting pressure on an LCD screen, and goes no further. Sometimes it repeats the white-fade. It's really quite pretty. It shows up on the network, and I can drop files onto it from another machine but the problem computer doesn't visibly enter the operating system. I can, however, start it up just fine in any of the three Safe Mode options and NO others, but when I attempt to restart and fight my way back into Safe Mode, it doesn't treat it like a reboot, making virus removal difficult at best.

I HAVE cleaned out the guts of my machine and made sure everything was properly seated. Up until my computer was infected, it worked pretty normally. Since it doesn't restart properly, I can't get Avast! to schedule a boot-up scan. I have run MBAM and SmitfraudFix. Smitfraud doesn't see anything, but MBAM sees a dozen infected files, tells me it has deleted them, and when I restart they're all back; sometimes with friends.

I KNOW I have an infection - Trojan.Vundo. Perhaps it precipitated this event?

I have received no errors notifications. Except from MBAM when I accidentally try to open it twice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 04:18 PM

Do you have a XP CD? Have you considered a reinstallation?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 ///

///

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 04:26 PM

Or try a recovery disk if you don't have a XP disc buy one or order a recovery disk from your computers company :thumbsup:

#4 orbdragon

orbdragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:11 PM

Backing up my information now in prep for a slick.

XP CD = Yes... It warned me when it first installed that the disk may not be able to be used as a recovery, because it is install only.
Recovery disk = No, the computer is a home-build, therefore no company from whom to buy it :/

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:46 PM

You could try various thing from the repair/ recovery console with your XP CD, but it will still be infected. Sometimes repairing a vundo infection you still end up reinstalling. That's why I asked if you considered a clean install

Edited by garmanma, 26 March 2008 - 08:48 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 orbdragon

orbdragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:18 AM

I am virus-free, as certified by Avast! without having to slick my machine. By a stroke of sheerest luck, Avast! was able to run a boot-time scan and got rid of those pesky, randomly-named Vundo DLLs.

My monitor still does the oddly white-fade, but this time my computer seemed to power through and successfully start XP without my having to spend an hour hitting the reset button.

I HOPE this is the last time I need to post to this thread.

Thank you for all your help, and I'll be sure to back up more frequently in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users