Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown Infection; Av Disabled.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lurkily

Lurkily

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:34 AM

Well. I did something stupid. :thumbsup:

I use a firefox plugin that auto-scans every download once it's complete. Well, I was inpatient, and ran it while the scan was loading up. First windows update was disabled. Then my Norton Auto-Protect icon vanished. Running Norton manually produces "This is not a valid Win32 application." So I reinstalled. The uninstall wouldn't complete, so I used Symantec's product removal tool, first. Install would not complete. Installed Trend Micro. Wouldn't install. I tried Avast. "Not a valid Win 32 application. Used Microsoft's, Avasts, and someone else's downloadable virus removal tool. (Stinger, I think?) Microsoft's wouldn't complete, Avast could not scan MANY .exe files, and the other just didn't find anything.

On a side note, my icons start vanishing, or are incorrect, in the start menu, desktop, task bar, and quick menu. (Oddly, the system tray's icons are okay.)

This isn't adware; I'm certain this is a virus, from it's apparent attacks on any and every virus scanner I've tried. Is a HijackThis log appropriate for this problem? I'm planning on a new computer in the near future, so I'd like to avoid the trouble of a full re-install, if possible.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:17 PM

Hello pleae try these online scanners. There is no installl so you should get a scan and a scan log that you can post back.

BitDefender Online Scanner
ESET Online Scanner
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Lurkily

Lurkily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:09 PM

I guess I forgot to mention; Bit Defender, Trend Micro, and Symantec's, online scanners failed to function, as well; they either complained that I was not using IE with the right scripting enabled (Javascript, Active X, whichever it required; they were always listed as trusted sites when I used them) or they locked up partway through, (after detecting an infection, but not notifying me what the infected file was before locking up) or simply appeared to run all night and all the next day without giving me any output. I'll give these ones a shot; maybe I can borrow a Norton AV CD from someone; I think that functioned as a boot CD that would scan without entering windows.

Update: Eset found a lot of variants of the Bagle worm . . . will look into it to see if further steps are needed. Thanks for the link! Eset is the only online scanner that functioned properly for me.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:55 PM

One other idea to try. Can you get to safe mode with networking and try to scan? But it appears you may well end up doing the HJT log anyway . As you seem to have some buried issues.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Lurkily

Lurkily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 05:14 PM

I didn't have any of these issues until I got infected; and so far, I've been doing okay, after removing bagle; the only problem left is that icons haven't returned to normal. Since I am hoping to get a new computer in a couple months, I can live with that.

In response to your question, no, I could not get safe mode to boot, in network mode or otherwise. My original intent was to remove and reinstall norton in safe mode, and scan there, but that obviously hadn't worked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users