Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No More Access After Running Combofix

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 AbuRaouf

AbuRaouf

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:11 AM

Hi everyone,
I got into serious trouble after running ComboFix, wasn't aware that it could kick me out completly from my machine.
Anyway, I'll try from step 1:
I'm running Win XP Pro SP2, pretty much updated, I'd say, but no original CD, it was preinstalled. My Norton subscription expired early Feb and I was too lazy to upload my usual antivirus software (avast!). Apparently now I'm paying the price:
After scanning an executable archive by Norton I unpacked it a couple of days ago. After the next reboot nothing was like it used to be: The Windows Explorer would start and stop several (usually 3) times before freezing itself on the screen. This happened in safe mode as well. I installed avast! through the task manager after uninstalling Norton and it found several viruses, but didn't clean anything. So I ran SDFix in safe mode, without any result, the log stated that it didn't find anything. I ran a HiJackThis to get an idea of whats going on after some reading decided to run Combofix. Wasn't aware of the mess it might cause, but after rebooting, it ends up with a the standard XP background and a mousepointer, no login or anything. No safe mode, no command start, all not possible. and no error message either.
The only chance I got to access the system is through a Knoppicillin disc that I can put to a FreeDos command prompt allowing me access to my HDDs.

Any, any help would be appreciated, forunately my laptop is still working normal.

Cheers, AbuRaouf

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:39 PM

You should not be using Combofix unless instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert. It is a powerful tool intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer.

In order to restore your computer, you will need the XP Installation CD to boot the computer to the Recovery Console. If you don't have your XP CD you can download a Recovery Console ISO file.

Burn it as an image to a disk to get a bootable CD which will startup the Recovery Console for troubleshooting and fixing purposes. This is especially useful for those with OEM systems with factory restore partitions or disks but no original installation CD. If you are not sure how to burn an image, please read How to write a CD/DVD image or ISO.

Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

At boot, you will be prompted with the following options:

A. To setup Windows XP, press Enter.
B. To repair Windows XP installation using recovery console, press R.

Choose the option, "To repair the Windows XP installation using recovery console", press R. If an Administrator Password have been established, you will be prompted to type it in. If no Administrator Password exists, just press ENTER.

You will be presented with the following:

Microsoft Windows® Recovery Console

The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery functionality.
Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

1: C:\WINDOWS

Which Windows Installation would you like to log onto
(To cancel, press ENTER)?

Press the number 1 on your keyboard and hit Enter.

At the command prompt, type the following command and press Enter:

cd ERDNT\hiv-backup

At the next prompt, type the following command, and press Enter:

batch erdnt.con

The erunt backups will begin copying.

Type exit when finished, and then press ENTER to quit Recovery Console. Remove the CD and let the computer start.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 AbuRaouf

AbuRaouf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 05:55 AM

Quietman, you made my day.
I not only got access to my windows again, my desktop is back and I am currently running a avast!-scan with the most current signature file.
I am aware that I shouldn't have run ComboFix without advice in first place, now. But still I am not sure what actually caused this desaster in first place. Where do I go from here?
I will wait for the results of avast! in safe mode, run Ad-Aware and then depending on the results run a HijackThis?

I'm just fearing there is something left in the machine that I havn't seen yet, any suggestions? Should I start a new post from there on?

Thanks again so far, I hope I will get this system cleaned up.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:07 AM

Your welcome.

Post your Hijackthis Log in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the HJT Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. Please include the top portion of the HijackThis log that lists version information. An expert will analyze your log and reply with instructions advising you what to fix. After doing this, we would appreciate if you post a link to your log back here so we know that your getting help from the HJT Team.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your post or make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

#5 AbuRaouf

AbuRaouf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:49 AM

Quietman7,
I posted the follow up according to your request at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/138672/still-something-wrong/.

Thanks again.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:02 AM

After posting a log you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

If after 5 days you still have received no response, then post a link to your HJT log in the thread titled "Haven't Had A Reply In Five Days?".

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic until you are cleared by the HJT Team. If you still need assistance after your log has been reviewed and you have been cleared, please PM me or another moderator and we will re-open this topic.

Thanks for your cooperation and good luck with your log.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users