Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Build New Member

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SB40

SB40

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:56 AM

MB Geforce 6100sm-m2

CPU AMD 4400+ 2.3 x2 core

EVGA 8600GT 256mb ddr3 PCI-E

Memory Corsair DDR2 XMS TWIN

I know this is not the greatest but it was only 240 bucks.

Now what i would like to know would there be an advantage to going with RAID ? what is the gain ? do i need 2 O/S to do this

Product Specifications
Capacity 160GB x2
Interface Type Serial ATA-300
Buffer Size 8MB
Spindle Speed (RPM) 7,200 RPM
Read Seek Time Average 8.9 ms
Data Transfer Rate: Buffer to Host Up to 300MBps
Ports and Connectors 7-pin Serial ATA Connector
Manufacturer Warranty 3 Year Limited Warranty

or going with a WD 10000 rpm 160 HDD

and what Power supply should i have now its 300w

thanks for any input

Edited by SB40, 26 March 2008 - 07:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 06:18 PM

Read this tutorial on raid it will explain the benefits of different types of raid. Performance and raid aren't usually associated. As for your HDD The price VS performance of a 10,000 RPM drive is not cost efficient for the cost of 1 WD Raptor you could get 2 7200 RPM drives and have minimal performance differences with allot more space. If your adding additional Hdd I would recommend upgrading your power supply. The power supply you have is probably already taxed to the limit. This wouldn't be an E-machine that you added the 8600GT to is it? If thats the case you on borrowed time with the stock Power supply. How much memory do you have? What are the timings of the memory?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users