Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems Starting Computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Onlythebrave

Onlythebrave

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 01:52 AM

Hi, firstly i hope I am in the right section for this problem.

My computer runs Windows XP home.

While computer was running we had a power cut, and since then am having great problems each time I turn on the computer.
When I switch on the computer the green light comes on and the orange light flashes only momentarily. My monitor shows the Packard Bell page and then when it gets to the boot up page it just sticks. Have tried using F8 and then that shows how to boot up etc. I press the floppy option which is normal for this machine, but then nothing happens. I did once get the Safe Mode screen and clicked on Last Good Configuration - the computer then checked the CHDISK, went back to the boot page and then stuck again. I have to keep turning the computer off and keep trying to get it to start up. For some uncertain reason it did start this time, so I am keeping it on all the time, as this problems has been going on for over 10 days, and I have this problem each time.

Is this be a hardware or software problem. All plugs concerning the computer are plugged into a power surge protecter sockets.
Any ideas what could have affected my computer this way, and more importantly how do I fix it?

Many thanks for your time

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:16 AM

Hard shutdowns (not shutting down Windows properly) whether intended or occurring unintentionally...are a major contributor to file corruption.

When I have such, the first thing I do is run chkdsk /r (or equivalent from My Computer/Properties) to do what I can to restore the proper order to system files.

Using Chkdsk to Detect File and Folder Corruption - http://searchwincomputing.techtarget.com/t...1263963,00.html

XP Chkdsk, Using the Graphical Version (My Computer) - http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html

The second thing I might suggest is running sfc /scannow. This will replace any damaged or missing system files.

LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

If the boot problem persisted, I would probably run the fixmbr and/or the fixboot commands from the Recovery Console.

XP RepairUsing FIXMBR Command - http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_instal...on_tips483.html If you don't use a password, just hit ENTER when that prompt comes up in the Recovery Console and that will take you to the line where you type fixmbr.

Louis

#3 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:44 PM

It sounds like you might have more going on, but I'll mention the first thing I did after a power failure and my computer wouldn't boot. I unplugged everything, waited 10-15 minutes then plugged it back in. My computer started up again. It's something about releasing the little bit of electricity that's stored in the computer and/or it also resets the bios.

I don't know the techy explanation for it, obviously. But I do know that unplugging the computer for awhile can often "fix" a lot of unexpected situations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users